Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old December 30, 2011   #1
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Default back to nature cotton boll

How many of you use this compost. I got 2 bags for the 1 today and was wondering how good it is as a compost.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

So, probably no one has even heard of this stuff before, much less
used it.

Lots of people have used composted cotton burrs, though.
One issue with it might be chemicals. Cotton is farmed with a lot
of pesticides, herbicides, etc. How much of that stuff remains in
the compost, who can say? Does it reek? (Does it have a chemical
smell that you can detect in addition to the normal smell of compost?)

You might want to stick to using that on plants that you do not eat.
Old January 4, 2012   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Dice thanks for your response. Since I posted this I've google and read quite a bit about Earth right and trheir company and cotton boll. The company that make this brand is out of texas.From what I read they don't have to use all the chemicls in west texas they do in the rest of the south eastern united states.. SO i'm hoping this stuff is good. The rest of what I read was pssitive about its use in the soil. I was hoping some texas growers would see this and comment on it. Hopefully they will give me some imput.
Bruce
Old January 4, 2012   #4
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Its Back To Nature not earth for the makers right sorry. I haven't had my coffeee yet
Old January 4, 2012   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
Dice thanks for your response. Since I posted this I've google and read quite a bit about Earth right and trheir company and cotton boll. The company that make this brand is out of texas.From what I read they don't have to use all the chemicls in west texas they do in the rest of the south eastern united states.. SO i'm hoping this stuff is good. The rest of what I read was pssitive about its use in the soil. I was hoping some texas growers would see this and comment on it. Hopefully they will give me some imput.
Bruce
I can tell you that Texas cotton farmers use round up and defoliants on their cotton farms.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1kACrTd9HdRlaA

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #6
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

worth i had read that too. but from i'm gathering they laws have changed since 2002. the bags say chemicsal free and were composted for 4 months a 160 degrees.. the jury is still out with me on this. if i have doubt it won't go in my tomato garden. i do appreciate the link.
Old January 4, 2012   #7
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I've done quite a bit of research this morning . I googled "cotton boll compost in organic gardens." There is some interesting reading if anyone is interested .
Old January 4, 2012   #8
Hermitian
BANNED

100% of US commercial cotton is GMO, and 100% of the US licensed fertilizer cotton by-products come from commercially processed cotton. Got it? Further, in my opinion no one should be worried about fertilizing plants with it. It is approved for certified organic farming. If you feel differently, that's ok! There are alternatives, check out Neem Seed Meal.
Old January 4, 2012   #9
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Richard, Thank you for your imput. Thats what i was getting out of my research today.. So i guess i didn't waste my $ on it.
Have a good day
Bruce
Old January 4, 2012   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't think it was a waste of money at all, I have used cotton seed meal on my garden many times.

I only put the above post up because almost all cotton farming is done with the defoliants and round up.
If not we would have to go back to the so called good ole days with hand picking.
I can assure you we dont want to pick cotton by hand.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #11
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Worth, im with you on that.. I'm to old to pick cotton anymore by hand (or any other way).....So you to are saying use it..lmao Thanks again
Bruce
Old January 8, 2012   #12
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I plant a row or two of cotton each year in different areas of my garden and after the bolls open gather a few had fulls for next years seed and just push the remainder down and cover with mulch. My desert soil needs slow decomposing organics and this works well.
Old March 3, 2012   #13
treeshaker
Tomatovillian™

i also just read about this stuff and bought some and tilled it in--we will see what happens.
treeshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2012   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I wouldn't think it was a waste of money at all, I have used cotton seed meal on my garden many times.

I only put the above post up because almost all cotton farming is done with the defoliants and round up.
If not we would have to go back to the so called good ole days with hand picking.
I can assure you we dont want to pick cotton by hand.

Worth
Ha ha! My dad picked cotton by hand as a teenager, in Celeste, TX. I get to hear that story, about 5 times a year. Doesn't sound like a fun job.
Not that shoveling horse manure as a job was fun, either.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote