Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 20, 2008   #1
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow crookneck squash plant: 2 types on 1 vine?

We planted some yellow crookneck squash plants from a popular nursery and are now just starting to pick a few. This is our 1st time growing this. We were quite surprised to see TWO very different-looking squash on the same plant: one is the traditional-looking yellow crookneck with a smooth skin, which is what was pictured on the tag and what we expected; the other is a straighter variety but with VERY pebbly, "pimply" type of skin. These are BOTH growing on the same plant! Is this normal? Edited to add that the warty ones are also still small (didn't let them get too big) and they are very hard compared to their smooth-skinned sisters.

arline

Last edited by arlinek; May 20, 2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: addl info
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008   #2
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

C'mon friends: not ONE reply?

May I also add if anyone knows what the more common variety of crookneck is that is typically sold in grocery stores - at least in California? We have always enjoyed that particular one and are wondering if we should have gotten a specific variety as this seems to be a little mushy when cooked exactly the same as the groc. store version.

arline
Old May 24, 2008   #3
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Arline, you should not be getting two types on one vine (it is a single plant, right?). The small, hard, warty one probably had some abnormality at an early stage and doesn't represent a typical fruit.

Have new fruits appeared since you first posted and what do they look like?

I have planted yellow crookneck many times but find that I like a yellow zucchini better. I am growing Meteor from Johnny's Selected Seeds this year.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008   #4
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ruth: We have planted a total of about 6 plants of yellow crook. and two of them each had the mixture of the hard/wart-like ones along with the normal and appropriate ones on the same plant. Very crazy. Yes, they are continuing to fruit ... with the rest, so far, being of the normal variety and not the aberrant ones.
Old May 26, 2008   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like some kind of transient problem, then. I occasionally see an "off" fruit and when I do I remove it, as it won't develop normally.

We like to eat yellow crookneck and zucchini when they are very small, no more than six inches. A good way to use the larger ones (and one always has one lurking somewhere) is the cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, and fill the cavity with tomato sauce (with a little or a lot extra drizzled around in the bottom of the dish). When it's finished baking, add some grated cheese on top and put under the broiler until browned. Yummy!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote