Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 14, 2008   #1
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Default Need some help!

Are these plants alright?

Some are just turning brown and dieing,and some as you see have spots...It looks like there might be two problems?
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If I may make a suggestion, if you hold your hand out at the same distance from the camera as the tomato plant, push the trigger on the camera about halfway so it focuses, and then point the camera at the tomato plant, the plant should be in focus. The camera thinks you want to focus on the ground instead of the plant. You can also try the Macro (with a picture of a little flower) feature on your camera.

The white papery edges on some of the leaves are possibly windburn or too much sun after the plants were not used to it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2008   #3
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to add,the last 4 plants do not seem to be growing wellthey are determinate.the first two pics are of indeterminate plants that are growing great,but some curling and browning leafs.
Old June 14, 2008   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I ditto the wind/sunburn leaf diagnosis, but as Feldon said, if you can get slightly clearer photos, folks here should be able to ID anything else that might be going on.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2008   #5
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

I thougt tomatoes should have full sun?

I will get some better pics tomorrow,right now I'm bussy with cleaning,cooking and beer.
Old June 14, 2008   #6
bcday
Tomatovillian™

The top two pictures do look like sunburn. Those leaves won't recover and eventually will die off, but the rest of the foliage on that plant looks healthy and the rest of the plant will be fine.

The spots on the lower leaves in the next two pictures look like flea beetle damage. Flea beetles can do serious damage if there are a lot of them, but there doesn't seem to be any new damage on the upper leaves. Keep an eye on them for any new holes. Flea beetles are shiny black and about the size of a pinhead, and they appear to hop like fleas when disturbed.

The last two pics seem to show healthy new growth above nutrient-starved older leaves. This happens when the plant is outgrowing its small plastic cell pack while awaiting transplant. Those malnourished older leaves will dry up and fall off, but not to worry, the rest of the plant will be fine now that you have it in roomier quarters.

Tomatoes do need full sun for at least six hours a day, but young seedlings have to be acclimated to the sun and wind gradually first. This process is called hardening off. If you take young seedlings from indoors or from the greenhouse and set them directly in hot sun without hardening them off, the thin young leaves get sunburned, and this shows up as white patches on the leaves that later turn brown. Somebody set the plant in the top two pics out in the sun for too long, too soon.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2008   #7
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

I did buy them and just put them outside,in 96 degree weather with no cloud cover.it was blazing hot!!,I guess that was it.

I just took some more pics and will post them

Thanks
Jason.
Old June 14, 2008   #8
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Here is some more.

My skills with a camera are not too good,hope this is better.Notice the black spots on the first two pics.

Jason.

Last edited by Addicted; June 14, 2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old June 14, 2008   #9
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

One more question,I have 8 plants 4 determinate and 4 indeterminate.the determinates seem to be growing very slow,they are masybe all around 3-5 inches.the indeterminates are growing good,they are about 10-12 inches.is this normal?

Jason
Old June 15, 2008   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Jason, determinates normally grow to about 3 feet tall as indeterminates can grow to as much as 6-8 feet. So your indeterminates grow faster as that is there normal growth habit. Ami

Last edited by amideutch; June 15, 2008 at 02:22 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2008   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Just to follow up the "full sun" question, transplanting is stressful to the plants. I do it in the afternoon so the plant will have 1 full night to acclimate itself before being exposed to full sun. Or, if possible, I transplant on a cloudy day.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2008   #12
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the help everyone,I'm so releived. I have 11 tomato plants and it would be a major bummer to lose them all.it Wasn't all that cheap for all the soil for them and the rest of the veggies.

Jason.