Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2019   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
I grow my own vegetables from seed and on rare occasions have bought from a trusted farmers market vendor. I would never buy from a big box store but a nursery is fine.
Peebee, I agree
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #17
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I was at Walmart the other day and it was mentioned that Plant supplier has changed to a different company.... or Bonnie was bought out??? Not sure which...
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #18
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We are lucky enough to have a couple of nurseries who grow their own. Lots of plant sellers get their stock from the same factory growers as the box stores. Another danger of the box store and factory grown plants is the use of neonicitinoids. As these grow and flower the insecticide infused plants will kill unsuspecting pollinators, especially bees. As they take the killer poison back to the hive the whole hive can be damaged.
Old May 9, 2019   #19
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I called Bonnie's this morning...to verify, and she said nothing has changed. she was very nice.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

have seen mislabeled agave plants at HD and there were way too many to be a person doing it at the store like a customer.
One the label was on the container stuck to it.
Meaning a person would have to pull the plant out of the container and move it around.

Fact of the matter is, they simply dont pay enough at these places up stream or down for people to give a hoot.
None of us are immune to this either.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Cole, I went to my local farmers market and was disappointed to find leggy 15-18" tomato plants for $4 each. They needed to be planted. I know they sold a few of the probably 400 plants they brought, but they took probably 85% home. She was a very nice lady and I visited with her for a few minutes and told her about T'ville. Hopefully she will join.
I know that vendor...I have seen them at just about every farmer's market, lol.

Quality can vary, sure. I'd guess the plants you saw were from a vendor with a smaller operation, probably one person. And somehow I doubt you will see that same vendor selling a lot of tomatoes later in the summer. The better plants at my market tend to come from the larger, family farm operations, who only sell plants in the spring, and tend to focus more on food production.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #22
pingman39
Tomatovillian™

About 6 years ago I bought 8 "Brandywine" plants from Atwoods. They produced a lot of medium sized very red and very good tomatoes. I loved em. The next year I looked for and found Brandywine tomatoes. Bought 12 plants. When I planted them I noticed the leaves looked funny. (potato leaves) but did not think a thing about it. Well, they were good tomatoes but not like the ones from the previous year (which by the way had "regular" leaves). I have since discovered that the 1st Brandywine I bought were not Brandywines. I always plant from plants bought at feed/farm stores and have good luck. I still would like to know what that tomato was in that one year.
pingman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

If it helps, Brandywine is pink and has potato leaves.

Brandywine Red has regular leaves.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #24
pingman39
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know there was a Brandywine Red. Hummmm.
pingman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman39 View Post
About 6 years ago I bought 8 "Brandywine" plants from Atwoods. They produced a lot of medium sized very red and very good tomatoes. I loved em. The next year I looked for and found Brandywine tomatoes. Bought 12 plants. When I planted them I noticed the leaves looked funny. (potato leaves) but did not think a thing about it. Well, they were good tomatoes but not like the ones from the previous year (which by the way had "regular" leaves). I have since discovered that the 1st Brandywine I bought were not Brandywines. I always plant from plants bought at feed/farm stores and have good luck. I still would like to know what that tomato was in that one year.
Look at this Brandywine and many more Brandywines at tomato growers supply.
There are several.
A red tomato has yellow outside skin (epidermis) and a pink one has clear skin.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/BRANDYW...ductinfo/5062/
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #26
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Bonnie tomato plants at Walmart

I took this photo on January 21st, 2019. If plants are mixed up, they could be anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0121191043_HDR.jpg (461.3 KB, 77 views)
Old May 9, 2019   #27
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
I took this photo on January 21st, 2019. If plants are mixed up, they could be anything.
At least the ones marked "tomato" appear to be tomatoes and the ones marked "strawberry" appear to be strawberries
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #28
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanInVa View Post
At least the ones marked "tomato" appear to be tomatoes and the ones marked "strawberry" appear to be strawberries
Right, that should be enough detail, so what's the problem?

I was at a BBS (big box store) yesterday and noticed racks and racks of small plants that look like they've been through war. Especially the warmer weather types, too early for them to be out around here, we still get cold nights around 40F. Basil for example, they all looked frozen.

It's appalling how disrespectful and neglectful the whole thing is. No wonder the very high prices for tiny plants, they need to cover their losses from all that ruined inventory.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote