Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2019   #16
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Gardening where I live sucks for the most part.

Oh Lord wont you buy my a giant hoop house
( and planning permission to have one because the UK Gov suck and wont let people do what they want with their own land )
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019   #17
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Long range forecast is no more lows in the 30's; I can plant anything I can get to harden off!

Cauliflower is in, with the cauliflower cozy made of nylon net to keep out the cabbage butterflies.

Xelos99, that's rough. What does it take to get permission?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That's a beautiful tree in the background, and the garden looks really nice too.

All the trees are green here now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019   #19
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Xelos99, that's rough. What does it take to get permission?
You have to make an application to local Government but it is confusing and vague what they will and wont allow.

Ask them and you are answered by nonsense like this :

Unfortunately, there is no general rule and each case must be decided on its facts.
Old April 29, 2019   #20
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
That's a beautiful tree in the background, and the garden looks really nice too.

All the trees are green here now.
I'm wondering what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190428_175144.jpg (571.0 KB, 159 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #21
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

had a frost last night but the 1 tray of tomatoes I had outside was close enough to the house to be still ok.
survival of the fittest
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019   #22
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

The slugs here absolutely love my tokyo bekena mustard, I will have to grow them in containers on the deck next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20190516_123046.jpg (543.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg img_20190516_123341.jpg (587.6 KB, 137 views)
Old May 17, 2019   #23
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
The slugs here absolutely love my tokyo bekena mustard, I will have to grow them in containers on the deck next time.
Have you tried slug beer traps. Not humane but I don't feel anything for slugs personally. It works
Old May 17, 2019   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
Have you tried slug beer traps. Not humane but I don't feel anything for slugs personally. It works
When it comes to the word humane I feel it is for humans and more advanced animals.
Not slimy slugs and stinking snails.
These nasty things can carry all manner of diseases in them and pass onto the surface of food you may want to eat raw.

Keep leaf littler down and beds cleaned up so they dont have a place to hide during daylight hours.
It gets to a point in the year I cant plant anything they are so bad here.
every time you step on the ground you here crunching noises.
This slug bait poison works great.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #25
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I was concerned about EDTA being used in the the slug bait which harm earthworms so I haven't bought them. I know Monterey brand have it, but I don't know about Garden Safe. I emailed Garden Safe about it and they didn't answer me, instead they gave a run around about it's either listed in the SDS, and unlisted are regarded as safe by EPA and is proprietary.

-----

Girl Girl Weird Thing is the fastest growing plant in the garden. It's 4ft wide and twice the size of any other plants. Also I didn't purposefully gave it that much free space, I mixed up my seeds and had a microdwarf beside it, otherwise it didn't get any extra treatments.

EDIT: I don't think these are GGWT, could be crossed seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20190528_181659.jpg (315.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg img_20190528_181948.jpg (511.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg img_20190528_175329.jpg (394.0 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; May 29, 2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 29, 2019   #26
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Looking great!

What size are those long rectangular containers you planted some of your tomatoes in, and where did you get them?
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #27
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2016 View Post
Looking great!

What size are those long rectangular containers you planted some of your tomatoes in, and where did you get them?
They're Earthboxes. I try to look for them on Amazon for lower prices than the official website. It's not cheap, but a lot of members here swear by it.
Old May 30, 2019   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

@maxjohnson, your new garden looks great. That tree is gorgeous... so many flowers you can't even see any leaves.

Spring is late this year, even for us, the rhubarb is only a couple inches tall and there's nothing leafed out yet. I dug some small trees out of my brother's yard which had to be removed or cut down because too close to the house. He had an amazing cherry tree, very large tree with big (although sour) cherries on it, which is hardy here and comes true to seed. They had to cut it down because it was leaning on the house. So I couldn't just cut the little ones down and managed to dig them instead, now I have to find places to plant them and hope that one or more will take. The bloom on that tree in spring was amazing. It would be worth having for the flowers alone (but I'll take cherry jam or jelly in a flash!).
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019   #29
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Last update before the tomatoes ripen. Here are some flattering angles of the garden. I really lied about keeping the garden small, I kinda went all out, so I don't have to do any extra work next year.

These growth are from the clearance Jobe's tomato fertilizer I bought last year, $2 something for a 16lbs bag, smells like 100% chicken manure, no herbicide contamination fortunately. I didn't prune at all except for diseases. The only disease that's a problem is bacterial spots which decimated the plants in the Earthboxes with fresh potting mix, but the ones in the raised beds with old potting mix and compost are barely affected. I believe soil health played a big part.

I'm really digging galvanized steel raised beds. I would like to add two or tree more galvanized trough next year.

I attempted to make a grape trellis (on the left), I bought a bareroot grape plant for $25 and one month after planting I see absolutely nothing. I have no experience with grape so I don't know how long it takes for a bareroot plant to start growing leaves. An article said up to 6 weeks so I hope it's alive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190624_203851.jpg (641.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190627_192728.jpg (614.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190630_201754.jpg (612.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190627_184835.jpg (557.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; June 30, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old July 1, 2019   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Like the green raised beds but must be hell on the knees if you put them on the edge.
Pipe insulation might help.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote