Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 18, 2018   #16
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I will take one in the daylight, Plain Jane. If you asked me last week, it would have been buried under 5 inches of snow. We are having a January thaw this week. Yay!!!

- Lisa

It may be this one :

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/modula...d/8586930.html

The photo shows two units.
Ah! I’ve seen those online. I ended up with the galvanized stock tanks because I wasn’t sure if that finish would hold up in the sun and I wanted the extra depth. We got 2 stock tanks a couple of years ago for $125 a piece and put holes in the bottom ourselves. Did yours come pre-drilled for planting?
Old December 18, 2018   #17
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was enjoying your landscape photos in another thread. It looks so bleak here.

The trough does not have a bottom. It is just a tall oval rim that is comprised of several sections. You could configure the pieces to one large bed as I chose for this site, or two smaller beds, but the height doesn't change. The finish is baked on and continues down the entire length of the interior.
I saw a scratched/rusted trough in the gardeners supply reviews, but I wonder if that piece was damaged or scratched. I don't recall if it was lifetime or a five year warranty on the unit, including the finish. Obviously I added the fence and have no problems with animals, as I would have if it was ground level. The three planters on top are Fiskars. I have another set that I bought for the north fence but I thought it might be too much for the eye until something goes in the middle (that is a firepit waiting to get a new home on my future planting spot.)

The trough is length wise on the west side of my lot, and my neighbors garage isn't really a mile long! She cut a tree down on the corner of her garage, so I will get more sun. It doesn't stand out visually too much now when everything looks grey, but in the summer time the color makes it quite noticeable to people walking by. I vaguely remember there was another color choice, and it wasn't the brown offered by gardeners supply.

I had considered buying a smaller version for the center of the small alcove, but I didn't pull the trigger and now it is gone. I ordered a cheaper 4X4 raised bed kit for that area. Since I can't have vegetables visible from the street, I was going to plant a strawberry bed, but now I am reconsidering that space for a cut flower bed or something edible with ornamentals like spookyshoe designed. Last year I had to have all the house siding replaced due to wood rot and it took a month, so I never got that project going. Next spring (by June) the roof is going from shake shingle to asphalt due to hail damage. If I get the project done with the soil prep etc. it will be late.

That is a giant oregano still kickin' despite the cold spell we had. I had ONE carrot in there too. A few lettuce seeds also sprouted on their own. None of the spinach grew from direct seeding. It was in the teens for several nights last month. I would never had thought to look if it weren't for the photos you asked for.

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6579.JPG (70.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6582.JPG (262.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6585.JPG (98.6 KB, 16 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2018   #18
PlainJane

So Lisa, is your trough about 5 ft long by 2 ft high? It looks perfect for growing veggies mixed with flowers. Are you allowed to plant fruit trees visible to the street? Oregano is impossible to kill, lol. Looks like you could still harvest greens despite the cold.
There are some crazy restrictions in some of the subs around here, too - we avoided them. Our house is older (for Jacksonville) and needs quite a bit of work. We should have done that instead of fooling with this garden but what can I say.
Old December 19, 2018   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm not familiar with Jacksonville, but I like the looks of it from your house.

Yes , that is the size. No fruit trees in front or sides of homes. Quarter acre or less plots. My house is in one of the older subdivisions in the urban sprawl area, about 27 years. It was the start of restrictions that are still adopted in new subdivisions. The city doubled and and recently quadrupled in all directions with a central core. All the good dirt is in the part of town that was walkable neighborhoods before they started carving out large tracts for new construction.

No worries about the inside , perfectly normal around here. We have different priorities!
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote