Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 29, 2016   #1861
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Looks good to me.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #1862
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Looks good to me.
Thanks, I am very lucky to have the stuff I have to work with including the TIG/Stick welder.
One of the few things I ever bought on credit at a welding supply place.
More of an open account.
The first thing I did was get rid of the awful foot control and buy a thumb amperage control.
It has a 100% duty cycle at I think 90 amps.
Meaning I can run the thing all day at that or less without it resting.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 29, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #1863
henry
Tomatovillian™

Coffee? Coffee filters tomato seeds day 4 in a coffee filter time to plant them, these seeds are more then 10 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3298449-s-.jpg (556.9 KB, 86 views)
Old March 29, 2016   #1864
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

This bunching onions survived -1 degrees Fahrenheit and is ready to produce new seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 8.35.02 PM.png (885.5 KB, 84 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #1865
bower
Tomatovillian™

This is great! Worth can finally get something to eat! Henry your seeds look fantastic.. imagine ten years old. I'm finally getting anxious to start mine. And the beautiful bunching onions... my Hardy Evergreens are still under the snow. And the White Lisbons, and the Shandong Longs, and the American Flag leeks. Testing one two three. They really did get tested this March with bare ground and as cold as it gets, so if they survived, I mean to have a big patch forever.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #1866
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Woo hoo -- Worth can now ride again! Much more important than eating if you ask me.

When my husband owned a Harley, he wouldn't "play by the rules" -- full gear, full face helmet, stock exhaust, and functional mods rather than cosmetic. All the other HD riders/posers used to snub him. That's okay because even after the thousands they piled into motor work, he on his stock HD and me on my 600cc sport bike used to pass them with little to no effort. They hated that.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #1867
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Good for him. Those rules that say Harley guys aren't supposed to wear helmets are responsible for taking the life of one of my best friends two years ago. He always wore a helmet when he rode a sport bike with me. But he moved to Phoenix, got a Harley, and stopped wearing one. He would still be alive if he was wearing any sort of helmet at all. A bicycle helmet would have saved his life.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #1868
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant count how many times I would be dead without a helmet on.
I am not a bad rider I was just wild and did crazy stuff like jumping fences.
Many years ago I had a Harley rider get ticked off at me because I wouldn't go to a get together to support no helmets.
All it really was was an excuse to get drunk and party.
I have yet to have one old school biker say one thing about me wearing a helmet it is all the posers.
And that is even if they didn't wear one, they said it was as much my right to wear one as it was someones right to not wear one.
I honestly hate it that Texas repealed the helmet law.

I have heard some really stupid excuses for not wearing one.
One of the dumbest was what if a bee gets in your helmet and stings you and runs you off the road.
Really dude suck it up and ride.
I have been stung many times and just went SOB get it over with and get off of me.

One final note.
A few years ago there was a bunch of cops on a pker run they ended up at a bar out in west Austin close to the lake.
tow of them husband and wife both cop.
They were on a bog Hog and took it in the bar and did a burnout inside.
The bar owner ran them out.
They took off and piled it up on a guard rail and killed both of them.
His blood alcohol was 0.24 and hers was 0.33.
They didn't do a thing to the other cops but came down hard on the bar owner and waiter that served them.
This still ticks me off.
Then a bit later an Austin cop goes to a guy in a car in a parking lot he is passed out drunk.
This drunk turned out to be a cop.
Then in another county the sheriff is drunk waving his gun and peeing in someones yard.
This same county has also fired several deputies for being in the KKK.
It is Williamson county.
I hate that county and feel like a great weight is off of me when I get out of it.

One last word according to the law you cant own and or work in a bar and make a living.
It is impossible because if you serve as many drinks as people want and they drive you are breaking the law serving them.
If you run them out you broke the law.
If you dont serve them they wont come to your bar.

Some time ago a friend stopped by on a Sunday night on his Harley.
He wanted to know if I wanted to go out to the bar.
Sure so we left all of this is in the country on country roads.
By the time I go home I had drank 4 beers.
I bet I was legally drunk and couldn't wait to get home and park the thing not that I was really drunk.

Worth
Old March 29, 2016   #1869
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

A zero alcohol policy and constantly working on my riding skills have given me almost 200,000 accident free miles since I started riding back in 2001 (knocking on wood). And if I ever did have an accident, my gear and helmet will increase my chances for survival -- ATGATT (all the gear all the time). To each his own, but these are the rules I set for myself.

As they say, "dress for the crash." And when people tell me it's too hot for all that gear, another I like is, "sweat washes off, scars don't."
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1870
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a drunk in a bar walk up to me, gesture toward my helmet sitting on the bar stool next to me, and say, "If you're so scared that you gotta wear one of these, you ain't got no business being on a motorcycle."

Funny thing, that county I was in has a reputation for KKK support. Their family trees don't fork quite as much as they should.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1871
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I had a drunk in a bar walk up to me, gesture toward my helmet sitting on the bar stool next to me, and say, "If you're so scared that you gotta wear one of these, you ain't got no business being on a motorcycle."

Funny thing, that county I was in has a reputation for KKK support. Their family trees don't fork quite as much as they should.
Its not a tree it is a family vine.
Or true meaning of a family circle.

Worth
Old March 30, 2016   #1872
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

So yesterday my husband and I were on the way to the movies after work and this happened. We were exiting SH45 (toll road) and some idiot two cars ahead of us came to a full stop in the toll plaza (our toll roads don't have workers anymore you just drive through and they bill you, there are signs everywhere saying to just keep driving through). Between us and them was a big plumbing van with a trailer hitch...you can see where this is going. The idiot stopped, so the van had to stop abruptly and hit the idiot, which made us have to stop abruptly and with no room to swerve out of the way as we were going through the toll booth we smacked into the van. Now of course in the eyes of the law the idiot is the victim since us and the van are the one who hit him, but we know who was at fault. We pulled off into the shoulder and yes that's antifreeze leaking all over the place. The idiot got out of his car, saw he hadn't taken any damage, and before we could get any information from him he was suddenly busy and had to leave. I snapped a picture of his plate as he was leaving. The van also didn't appear to take any damage, we pretty much got the brunt of it being in a little car wrestling with a trailer hitch. Everyone was unharmed, but we ended up having to get a tow truck (due to the fluids spilling out we didn't think it was safe to drive) and our insurance luckily covers us for a nice rental until the car is repaired. Should hear an estimate from the collision repair place today. I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I figured it could go here, just really wanted to vent about that dummy who stopped in the toll booth and got away scot-free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160329_154928.jpg (233.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20160329_155754.jpg (274.8 KB, 66 views)
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1873
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

That sucks! sorry for your situation. I hope it isn't too expensive to fix. People who wouldn't know that you get a bill would stop. We don't have that type of toll booth here, either. I would have stopped. Sorry, but it would have been due to the confusion of the process. but maybe he did know and had no insurance and knew he was at fault. probably will never know either.
Old March 30, 2016   #1874
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
That sucks! sorry for your situation. I hope it isn't too expensive to fix. People who wouldn't know that you get a bill would stop. We don't have that type of toll booth here, either. I would have stopped. Sorry, but it would have been due to the confusion of the process. but maybe he did know and had no insurance and knew he was at fault. probably will never know either.
Thank you. There are signs all over the toll road and booths telling you to keep driving and they'll bill you, it's been like that here for a few years now. I've seen people slow down to a crawl but never fully stop like that. I'm pretty sure he didn't have insurance either, but in the law's eyes he's not at fault anyway since it was a strike from behind.

I hope it's not too expensive too, but we're pretty much expecting to pay our full $500 deductible (which may not sound like a lot to some but I'm the only one working at the moment, so it's a bit stressful) no matter the damage. We know the bumper will likely need to be replaced, as well as the radiator since it was leaking all over the place. I'm really glad no one was hurt, at least. I've seen way worse accidents on that toll road. We were going slow enough that if that van hadn't had a trailer hitch our car would probably have been fine.

Edited to add some screenshots from Google Maps of the tollbooth the accident occurred in and the signs I mentioned. The first car was stopped directly next to the toll booth, in plain view of one of the signs I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: png 032916.png (1.28 MB, 59 views)

Last edited by TexasTycoon; March 30, 2016 at 11:29 AM.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1875
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That blows It reminds me of the time someone tossed a beer bottle under my car and I ran over it and ruined a brand new tire.
I was dog broke and couldn't afford another tire.
Too little too late but this is a perfect example of keeping your distance behind other cars.
You need to look ahead and be ready for any sudden stops long before they happen.
It isn't a lecture but very good advice.
The 2 second rule is hog wash I look ahead and come up with every scenario that can happen more like 15 to 18 seconds ahead and decide what I am going to do if something happens.
Also being a passive driver isn't always the best thing in many cases aggressiveness is the menu of the day.

This reminds me of the time I was in Austin on Airport boulevard coming to the intersection of Lamar.
It was raining and wet.
Someone ahead slammed on their breaks.
I was driving a one ton truck pulling a 34 foot trailer.
All the cars in front of me were hitting each other.
I hit the brakes and put the truck in reverse and floored it and at the same time hit the trailer brakes as hard as they would go.
Smoke was rolling out of the dual tires spinning backwards and I came to a nice complete straight stop about 4 feet behind the car in front of me.
Hitting the trailer brakes hard kept me from jack knifing.
People on the side lines cheered and clapped at the maneuver.
I was about 26 years old at the time and would have possibly killed someone in that truck if I would have hit them.
I'm 57 years old never had a moving violation and only been in four traffic collisions.
Only two of those I couldn't avoid all of them were the other persons fault.
I had to slide half of my Harley under an 18 wheeler on Lamar to keep from being hit by a truck that pulled out in front of me at a red light to do a right hand turn.

Like I said not a lecture but good advice.
Regardless your fault their fault dead is dead.
You guys are very lucky to be alive.
I saw a cop stop and give a guy a ticket for just about the same thing coming off 35.
The guy passed me while I was driving a truck and slammed on his brakes to turn in.
The cop behind me swallowed his cigar and almost hit me because I locked them up.

You may not be at fault on this accident.

Worth