Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 6, 2014   #16
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Insect frass? How do you get that? I never have heard of that before.

Marsha
It looks like many vendors sell it and it is inexpensive but I wonder if I can buy it in Mexico. I can't find a how to make it site.

http://www.vitallandscaping.com/soil...ct-frass-2-2-2
Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #17
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Axixic;403144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
What is compost tea?
Vladimír[/QUOTE

Read this link. You can also make manure tea and other varieties.

https://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/depu...e/Tea/tea1.htm

I never used a pump. I soaked the compost in a large plastic garbage can for a couple of weeks, used the water and refilled the can.
Thank you very much.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #18
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

It's mostly bug turds. But I Wonder. Can I just put dead grass hoppers into my teas and get the same thing?
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #19
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The insect frass i buy is ground up exoskeletons of beetles. It works wonders. I buy it at the local hydroponic store. The frass also works as a insecticide, tricking smaller pests into thinking beetles are on the plants As far as compost tea goes i use xtreme tea because it works better than just puttin compost or manure in a sock and letting it steep. It also comes with an activator which i believe is dried molasses. Plus it is vegan so when you get it on your hands you dont need to worry about puttin your finger in your eye and given yourself pink eye. Also when you brew the tea you need an airstone and air pump to oxygenate the mixture. The tea works best if used at the 24 hour mark after that the biology of the tea starts decreasing.

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; April 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #20
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

So does mealy bug as a beetle? Our do I have to wait for the grown ups before i mush them?
Old April 6, 2014   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I read that frass has a hormone in it that actually inhibits plant growth, but that hormone composts out very quickly, 10-15 days, at which time it becomes excellent fertilizer. So if you collect your own, you need to compost it, but not for very long.

http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJF...B200304014.htm
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #22
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Insect frass? How do you get that? I never have heard of that before.

Marsha
I just grab those little suckers and squeeze the livin' frass outta 'em!

Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #23
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a fan of foliar feeding especially compost or fish emulsion as organic products take weeks to break down to a form the plant can use. I can see spraying for trace minerals. Otherwise I don't see how spraying food the plant can't utilize unto the leaves does any good? I know you say you see a difference, which if you had examples you didn't spray then I guess you could compare. Any that drips into the soil can be useful as time goes by and the bacteria break it down to a form the plants can use. Some of these organic molecules are thousands of atoms long, definitely cannot be used. Can you eat a 400 pound tuna without cutting it up?
I use soluble fertilizers the plant can uptake the minute I add it. I add organics to the soil once repotted. Here are my seedlings in the cold frame.

drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #24
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Compost tea not only contains all of the soluble nutrients extracted from the compost but also contains all the species of beneficial micro-organisms present in the compost one uses. The beneficial micro-organisms of compost tea improves the foliar uptake by increasing the time that the pores of the plant stay open while reducing evaporative loss from the leaf surface. The result is a stronger healthier plant. I have also noticed a reduction in diseases and pests. Over time soluble nutrients add unwanted salts to your soil decreasing beneficial micro-organisms. As an organic gardener i try to be proactive in building healthy alive soil in hopes of not having to be as reactive in pouring on the soluble nutrients. I'm not saying they don't have an important place in gardening they just don't have a place in my garden. I have been experimenting with the use and non use of compost tea for a while. I do have examples and will post some pictures of both when i get home from vacation on thursday or friday.
Old April 8, 2014   #25
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Thanks that helps, I agree the salts can be a problem, but fact is the salts are also present in organic products. The plant does not care how the nutrients get there. They are in the same form organic or soluble. I often hear about the so called salt problem, I kinda chuckle as those same salts are present in the organic products. Often not as concentrated, but still there. The plant needs them, so without the salt, it would not grow! Why use salts? Because plants use salts for food!
My first thought is you're making soluble fertilizer out of organic sources. Chemically it would be identical to soluble. I guess you're adding bacteria, well unless the extraction process kills them? Don't now the method? I just add the bacteria myself. I like using organic but mostly because none is wasted. Often soluble just run out and are wasted. Organic makes more sense. But when young, I prefer greater control so use soluble. Once potted I only use soluble for certain situations, such as for protection from calcium deficit, or any minerals that are showing deficits, I can quickly add them.
Organic has many advantage to keeping the environment perfect for plants. It is the way to go, but sometimes inorganic methods come in handy as mentioned.

Last edited by drew51; April 8, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #26
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Actually I might take you up on that offer. I've already been running experiments with daily mechanical stimulation. And direct light exposure. I can dedicate the twins to some more experiments aside from the thigmomorphogenesis, and two hour difference direct sunlight. I can switch the feeding regimen.

Uncle Dunkle

Is your food a primary or a supplemental nutrient source and is it a soil or foliar based delivery?
Old April 11, 2014   #27
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I never foliage feed my peppers. I have plants 1-4 years of age with tree-like bark on their trunks. The largest jalapeño has a 3" trunk and is 5.5' tall!
I root feed organic fertilizers, iron supplement ( if a little yellow) and manures. The leaves get slightly chloriotic in colder weather, probably because my pH is so high.
These peppers are in awful soil but have had about 5 years worth of soil amendments.
Never till this garden because of it's location and the better soil isn't very deep. Underneath is red clay.
I do give fish emulsion and kelp to smaller or stressed plants.
I never have pests on the peppers except the occasional tomato worm. Sometimes I've seen a few whiteflies but never enough to cause problems.

Last edited by Tracydr; April 11, 2014 at 09:51 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #28
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Here's the pics of my peppers as promised. The plants in the left tray get the xtreme compost and insect frass tea as a foliar spray. The plants in the right tray do not. As you can see the plants that get the foliar spray are doing far better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140413_190812 (1000x750).jpg (557.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 20140413_190824 (1000x750).jpg (573.3 KB, 257 views)
Old April 14, 2014   #29
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Here's the pics of my peppers as promised. The plants in the left tray get the xtreme compost and insect frass tea as a foliar spray. The plants in the right tray do not. As you can see the plants that get the foliar spray are doing far better.
That's an amazing difference!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2014   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
The insect frass i buy is ground up exoskeletons of beetles. It works wonders. I buy it at the local hydroponic store. The frass also works as a insecticide, tricking smaller pests into thinking beetles are on the plants As far as compost tea goes i use xtreme tea because it works better than just puttin compost or manure in a sock and letting it steep. It also comes with an activator which i believe is dried molasses. Plus it is vegan so when you get it on your hands you dont need to worry about puttin your finger in your eye and given yourself pink eye. Also when you brew the tea you need an airstone and air pump to oxygenate the mixture. The tea works best if used at the 24 hour mark after that the biology of the tea starts decreasing.
Holy Cow. That pic is incredible.

Is this the xtreme tea product? http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Tea-Bre...dp/B007F87T2C/

Does your hydro store sell online? If so, the link would be great. Thank you.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote