Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 6, 2016   #16
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I was about to post that link, I like his and OneYardRevolution evaluation on rockdust as well.

With that said, I choose not to use them. I'm in Florida and with 2x4 or 2x6 pine planks, has lasted me 3yrs so far, but it is definitely decaying away, which doesn't matter for me, since I'll turn it into a ground patch with woodchips mulching.

I do have one raised bed with concrete block, which I understand do not have fly ash like portland cinderblocks which you can't buy anyway. Only downside is it's quite heavy, but not a problem if you never intend to move it, but I can see a problem if you need to get rid of it or renting. They also say the material it the block can make the soil near it more alkaline, stuff is growing really well in it so I'm not concerned.

Last edited by maxjohnson; December 7, 2016 at 01:14 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2016   #17
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Why Take the Chance???

Hard for me to read Organic and treated lumber in the same line.

I use 2X red cedar, ever expensive here but why take a risk??

The cedar bed will out last me for sure.

I have two grandkids and prefer not to take any more chances than necessary.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2016   #18
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I totally agree with you whoose. I read the links and am actually surprised that there is not a higher level of leaching of chemicals into the soil from treated lumber however that still does not mean that I will use anything that leaches chemicals. I am an organic gardener and that type of wood is NOT considered acceptable in an organic garden but if you are only using the produce for personal use then I guess that you can consider it organic if you want but by definitiion it is not organic.

The USDA allows a certain percentage of ground bone and insect parts in ground meat but that does not mean that I won't avoid it if I can. I don't care what level of insect parts in meat or heavy metals in vegetables is allowed. I don't want ANY.

To each his own, same as with using pesticides but I am very happy planting in my non-raised beds right in the improved native soil.

Raised beds look pretty but unless they are needed due to poor native soil or drainage issues, they sound like more trouble than they are worth to me.

Last edited by brownrexx; December 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #19
ACEBUGGIES
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I totally agree with you whoose. I read the links and am actually surprised that there is not a higher level of leaching of chemicals into the soil from treated lumber however that still does not mean that I will use anything that leaches chemicals. I am an organic gardener and that type of wood is NOT considered acceptable in an organic garden but if you are only using the produce for personal use then I guess that you can consider it organic if you want but by definitiion it is not organic.

The USDA allows a certain percentage of ground bone and insect parts in ground meat but that does not mean that I won't avoid it if I can. I don't care what level of insect parts in meat or heavy metals in vegetables is allowed. I don't want ANY.

To each his own, same as with using pesticides but I am very happy planting in my non-raised beds right in the improved native soil.

Raised beds look pretty but unless they are needed due to poor native soil or drainage issues, they sound like more trouble than they are worth to me.
Some of us need raised beds to make things easier on our bodies. Unfortunately we aren't all fully capable, and raising beds can be helpful in saving our backs, knees, etc. It can also help with keeping your soil from becoming compacted and it looks nice and pretty.

It is great you can plant directly in your soil without the need for pretty raised beds LOL. I understand not wanting chemicals at all in your garden, frankly if it were feasible for me I would use an untreated cedar.

I figure no matter what, even using the treated lumber it is better than store bought produce.
ACEBUGGIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #20
ACEBUGGIES
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Yeah I was about to post that link, I like his and OneYardRevolution evalulation on rockdust as well.

With that said, I choose not to use them. I'm in Florida and with 2x4 or 2x6 pine planks, has lasted me 3yrs so far, but it is definitely decaying away, which doesn't matter for me, since I'll turn it into a ground patch with woodchips mulching.

I do have one raised bed with concrete block, which I understand do not have fly ash like portland cinderblocks which you can't buy anyway. Only downside is it's quite heavy, but not a problem if you never intend to move it, but I can see a problem if you need to get rid of it or renting. They also say the material it the block can make the soil near it more alkaline, stuff is growing really well in it so I'm not concerned.
maxjohnson- Some of my favorite YouTube channels. They actually research and present scientific evidence, instead of just hearsay. I love MIgardener channel too
ACEBUGGIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Well of course everybody is free to exercise his own life style from medicine, to food, to gardening. But to me there are risks in life that we take every single day ; driving a car, walking, breathing the air. I also smoke tobacco, knowing that it has health RISK. I take that risk as the cost for the pleasure I get out of it. I don't plant on living for ever.
YMMV

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Is someone is serious about raised beds and worried about lumber they might cut their loses and go with stone concrete or cinder blocks.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #23
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I looked into cinder blocks a while back and found this.

http://preventdisease.com/news/15/02...-Gardens.shtml
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you posted that link, for the sake of discussion. Don't be offended, but that "prevent disease" web site has a reputation as a quack site with junk science. They write articles like that just to sell ads on their site. Just like with lumber, if concrete was dangerous it would be masons and concrete workers who got sick first.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #25
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Hard for me to read Organic and treated lumber in the same line.

I use 2X red cedar, ever expensive here but why take a risk??

The cedar bed will out last me for sure.

I have two grandkids and prefer not to take any more chances than necessary.
You nailed it for me whoose. I'm goin raised beds this year, well some, and I only have one grandchild. She loves to help me in the garden so I gotta go with safety first. Like to grow some hot peppers but she's 20 months old and loves to grab the plants . .jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #26
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I don't plan on living forever either but I would like to live all of the years I have in good health. After watching a few people die of Cancer and also Alzheimer's, I don't take any risks that I can avoid, no matter how small. I feel that exposure to chemicals becomes cumulative over time. If a risk is unavoidable, like breathing or driving then I don't stress over it.

If I wanted to have raised beds, I think that I would bite the bullet and buy cedar rather than rationalizing the size of the risk in pressure treated lumber. Young children, who are still developing, have more of a risk than we do as adults.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #27
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default How to on Raised Beds

I plan to do a how to on raised bed after the holidays. I will try to address the risk and rewards of the many decisions you need to make and the nuts and bolts of how to do it.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #28
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
I plan to do a how to on raised bed after the holidays. I will try to address the risk and rewards of the many decisions you need to make and the nuts and bolts of how to do it.
That would be very welcome.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #29
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I use pressure treated lumber for my raised beds. I've seen no good scientific research on any ill effects from using wood treated with the new formulation. OTOH, I like a lot of the organic gardening and permaculture techniques and practices.

Living life has taught me that playing with thermometer mercury as a kid was probably not a great idea. Neither was riding in our station wagon without seatbelts, owning and shooting guns, and blowing things up with M-80s.

In my twenties I worked at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma (MIEMSS) - driving can absolutely kill and maim you! I still drive - a lot - and love it.

All in all, I think I'm probably at more risk cutting the boards for my raised beds than I'm in from what they are preserved with. Just my opinion - be happy to read any research.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #30
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Cutting boards are dangerous
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote