Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 7, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
"All formally educated people in botany or horticulture will tell you the same answer every-time. I agree with them."

I find that elitist and arrogant.

Many of the formally educated people in botany and hort I know are very stuck in their own footprint and mindset and when they are hammers everything looks like a nail, if u get what I'm sayin'
Example: before u grow your crop, "test your soil and adjust ph to 6.5".
You see that in EVERY official university publication. It is so infuriating to the people that actually look beyond what the experts say. Then when you ask them, what is the base saturation of C and Mg are you recommending, they are lost.

Drew, maybe I'm reading u wrong and I'm over reacting. My apologies if so. Just didn't care for the tone and I tend to say what I feel.
I will drop it from here b/c in the short time I've been here, I see that this site is pretty much free of conflict and don't want to turn this into the comments section of YouTube or yahoo etc.
Sometimes folks come off wrong and it is hard to tell on a forum.
I will agree with you on the statement about the experts always being right.
I can count many times in history where the so call man that knew it all was proven wrong.
A case in point is the finding of the Clovis point in New Mexico.
It took years for the scientific community to finally agree that these people really were here that long ago.
All because the so called (man in the know) disagreed.
If I recall correctly this idiot was preaching that the Egyptians were here and were the ones that built the mounds.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #17
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Some peppers which are generally sweet sometimes become hot but not due to other peppers. A good example would be Shi-shi-tos, when the plants are stressed, the peppers are HOT especially the first round of peppers, but usually there is not a hot one to be found.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #18
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I know exactly what you mean worth.
I hate the word can't.
Especially coming out of the mouth of an "expert" with a title.
Just like when some poultry experts told me you can't raise a commercial broiler breed out on pasture and get them to market weight in the same timeframe.
Or that blueberries can't be grown in a high pH soil. (I have a serious issues with pH talk).
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #19
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdambr View Post
Some peppers which are generally sweet sometimes become hot but not due to other peppers. A good example would be Shi-shi-tos, when the plants are stressed, the peppers are HOT especially the first round of peppers, but usually there is not a hot one to be found.
This explanation makes sense to me. Great point!
Old February 8, 2016   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I agree experts can be wrong, but in the question here, you have to say they are all wrong, every one, as none agree with the other side. I don't mean to be negative, or mean. Sorry for any hurt feelings or feel I was being rude. Just being truthful. Believe whatever you want. We can agree to disagree. i certainly would disagree about that blueberry statement too, pH is everything with them. So many just give up when an easy fix is available (lower the pH!) Again here you won't find an expert that says otherwise. I didn't need one I found out myself with my own attempts. Now I get pounds and pounds of blueberries.

Last edited by drew51; February 8, 2016 at 05:37 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #21
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

No problem drew.
What is your favorite blueberry?
Old February 9, 2016   #22
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

This sounds like a situation ripe for experimentation.

Grow some superhots and some sweet peppers right next to each other. Then taste test different parts of the resulting fruit.
Old February 9, 2016   #23
4season
Tomatovillian™

We had a grower at our market who claimed if you grew bells and hot peppers side by side that sometimes the roots would grow together and cause heat in the bell. In tomatoes rootstalks can make the scion more resistant to disease. So who can tell if it a pollination effect or intergrown roots. I figure that if it is possible it will happen so I grow a bed of hot and a bed of sweet peppers
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #24
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Default Can hot peppers make sweet peppers hot

Regarding the corn thing, read any seed catalog worth its salt and you'll see the suggestion that most varieties be separated or isolated, because pollination by a different type affects the crop, usually by ruining the flavor and/or sweetness. But you never see the same suggestion for any other crop, including peppers. That might be a good hint. I always grew them touching each other, and never had a sweet one get hot. I only changed when I decided to switch to saving seeds.

Last edited by FarmerShawn; February 10, 2016 at 12:26 AM.
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #25
mmm123
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew ghost and tabasco peppers and kept them 100 feet apart. I remember the tabascos were hotter then the ghost peppers? I saved seed and both are growing true to form this year. This year the ghost peppers seems hotter? One thing seems to happen to me as soon as I think I figured something out the results change. One thing I like to do is eat a hot pepper and then eat a juicy bell pepper.
mmm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #26
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm123 View Post
Last year I grew ghost and tabasco peppers and kept them 100 feet apart. I remember the tabascos were hotter then the ghost peppers? I saved seed and both are growing true to form this year. This year the ghost peppers seems hotter? One thing seems to happen to me as soon as I think I figured something out the results change. One thing I like to do is eat a hot pepper and then eat a juicy bell pepper.
In this case, both peppers were already hot peppers. The environmental conditions (soil, water, temperature, etc.) can strongly impact how hot one variety of pepper is from year to year.
Old February 10, 2016   #27
rflasck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
We had a grower at our market who claimed if you grew bells and hot peppers side by side that sometimes the roots would grow together and cause heat in the bell. In tomatoes rootstalks can make the scion more resistant to disease. So who can tell if it a pollination effect or intergrown roots. I figure that if it is possible it will happen so I grow a bed of hot and a bed of sweet peppers
Here's a possibly relevant piece of empirical evidence supporting your post. Two years ago, I planted carrots next to Jalapenos. I was flabbergasted when the carrots harvested from right next to the pepper plants had some mild (but definite) heat. The carrots further away had no heat. There was, of course, no room for genetic tom-foolery here. The heat in the carrots may have been caused by some sort of chemical exchange involved in the root systems. But leaving esoteric theories aside, carrots grown next to hot peppers indeed, in-fact, empirically had some heat. When theory and experiment conflict, believe the experiment.

Last edited by rflasck; February 10, 2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
rflasck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't care less if everything in my garden was hot.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #29
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I grew poblanos, habeneros, cubanelles, sweet bell, cayenne, jalepenos and several other varieties right next to each other last year. I think my cat also slept with my dog.
Funny thing is - all the peppers taste as they should and not one catdog was born.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2016   #30
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

My $.02 worth on the original question: I'm gonna try to have it both ways, or even more than two ways.

(1) Peppers are overwhelmingly self-pollinating. I've read that the self-pollination rate is 95% in tomatoes, and if that's similar in peppers then you could grow hot and sweet pepper plants so close that they're intertwined with each other and the genetics of about 19 of 20 of the resulting fruits still would not be crossed. This would make it hard to answer the question by observing what happens when different peppers are planted close together.

(2) From experience, I'm very sure that a sweet pepper blossom fertilized by pollen from a hot pepper blossom would not produce a fruit that's hot in that same generation. Next generation fruits produced by plants grown from seeds of that crossed pepper would likely be hot. I'm guessing that "heat" is dominant to "no heat" in peppers when both of those genes are present, considering that there are so many more hot than sweet pepper varieties in nature. I don't know that, but I betcha.

(3) But, like with corn, I think the seeds inside a pepper fruit are not of that generation - they're already of the next generation. In tomatoes, when I purposely crossed Dr. Wyche's Yellow with German Red Strawberry (which eventually produced Sweet Ozark Orange), I really saw this. Dr. W has large light-colored seeds. G.R.S., like many heart tomatoes, has small dark-colored seeds. The Dr. W blossoms that I crossed with G.R.S. pollen produced tomatoes that were exactly like Dr. Wyche's Yellow in every way - except they contained small, dark-colored seeds. The fruits were of the present generation, but the seeds were already of the next generation and displayed the next generation's traits.

We all know that the seeds are the hottest part of a hot pepper, so I believe a sweet pepper blossom fertilized by pollen from a hot pepper would produce a fruit with hot seeds (and maybe pulp/placenta too), though the fruit itself would not be hot.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote