Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old September 26, 2013   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default anyone going to the hudson valley garlic festival

this weekend in saugerties ny?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2013   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I wish I was, but unfortunately I won't be.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I'll be there (of course).

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
this weekend in saugerties ny?

tom
Nope, but have been there 3X and it's a hoot.

Went with friends all 3 times, and never before had I tasted garlic ice cream, fries, fudge,anything anyone can make they would garlic it, with all kinds of garlic bulbs for sale as well.

In a way the best part for us was driving back north to the Albany area and stopping at many of the roadside stands to get apples, peaches,pears, baked goods, etc.Well I remember that it was at one of those stands where I first found Honeycrisp apples, which remain my faves even now.

Well worth going to IMO.

Carolyn, who notes that parking can be amusing, as in sometimes long treks to the event.
Old September 27, 2013   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Haven't been in close to 10 years....but thoroughly enjoyed it. The Stratford was based on the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
I'll be there (of course).

TomNJ/VA

REALLY! we should meet up huh? maybe w1 gate say noon?

yeah honeycrisp is THE ONLY apple i eat now. when they are gone, i bought a half bushel, i'll eat red delicious but nothing tastes like a honeycrisp. i bought one in the grocery store maybe 2 years ago to compare to the orchard, like night and day!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old October 7, 2013   #7
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I went there a few years ago, had the garlic ice cream and bought 5 lbs of garlic braids. Lots of fun!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
REALLY! we should meet up huh? maybe w1 gate say noon?

yeah honeycrisp is THE ONLY apple i eat now. when they are gone, i bought a half bushel, i'll eat red delicious but nothing tastes like a honeycrisp. i bought one in the grocery store maybe 2 years ago to compare to the orchard, like night and day!

tom
Tom,

I (almost) consider Honeycrisp to be the "butternut" of apples. It's sweet, but kind of bland...
just like the local butternut squash.

Great tasting apples, to me, are the likes of Ashmead's Kernal, Carmijn de Sonnaville, Cox's Orange Pippen, Golden Russet, Hudson's Golden Gem, Pitmaston Pineapple, Reine des Reinettes, and Zabergau Reinette, to name just a few.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Tom,

I (almost) consider Honeycrisp to be the "butternut" of apples. It's sweet, but kind of bland...

Great tasting apples, to me, are the likes of Ashmead's Kernal, Carmijn de Sonnaville, Cox's Orange Pippen, Golden Russet, Hudson's Golden Gem, Pitmaston Pineapple, Reine des Reinettes, and Zabergau Reinette, to name just a few.

Gary
Gary, you are an obsessed, dedicated apple snob.

And yes, I've tasted some of the ones you mention since quite a few years ago Craig L sent me a gift of older apple varieties from a place in MI.

When I moved back East from Denver and planted a new orchard I didn't order many new apple varieties b'c there were still some at the old farm that I'm sure the Shakers planted when they owed the land.

I do remember my father speaking well of Seek No further and a neighbor waxing eloquently about Chenango Strawberry so I bought him a sapling and gifted him with it.

Quite a few years ago I got a great deal on the two volume Apples of NY, but gave those two volumes to my brother, who at the time lived up here near me. I also had the Peaches of NY as well. Gorgeous books with out standing hand painted pictures.

Excuse me as I now go to the fridge to get a Honeycrisp and a Macoun for snacking. And if you want to drive over here sometime I know how to alter your tastebuds..... permanently.

Carolyn, ps, you can bring cranberries if you wish.
Old October 7, 2013   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Tom,

gary you should taste the honeycrisp i buy, they are not bland. sweet and crunchy, i've never tasted anything better.

maybe i was born 100 years too late for the apples you mention? i doubt anyone other than someone that searches out old varieties, varieties that 99% of orchards don't grow any longer, has ever heard of the apples you mention. orchards have dropped old varieties from long ago in favor of new varieties and that may have been what was new 75 or 50 years ago.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old October 7, 2013   #11
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

wish i could go.

one disadvantage of living where i do, is i am far, far away from some events. if wisconsin has a garlic festival, that might be doable.

i love reading about old apple varieties, and would love to grow some of them. they need to be able to survive in the U.P. of michigan though. we have a few old apple trees on the farm along with several deer planted trees. some of them are very good. size varies from elongated golf ball on up to large.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2013   #12
henry
Tomatovillian™

Braise's 2nd Annual Garlic Fest
Sunday, Jun 23 10:00a to 3:00p
Braise
Milwaukee, WI

Looks like they are starting to happen in wisconsin :]
Old October 9, 2013   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

The best "new" apple I've tried is Sweetango. Unfortunately, it's distribution is/was tied up in a lawsuit. So, I currently don't know where to find them. Gala is the next best, for me.

Carolyn,

I'm just an apple snob for about two months a year, October and November. I compare early ripening heirloom apples to early ripening heirloom tomatoes. Not much to say. And I do not like all of the older apple varieties. There are plenty that have really odd flavors (like nuts-maybe acorns?, or flowers).

With the typical tomatoes and apples that are in a supermarket, I figure the people that like those would like to go to an elephant garlic festival, if there was one.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2013   #14
yopper
Tomatovillian™

I'am going to pick my honey crisp apples this morning as soon as the frost leaves and the grass dries. Looks like there should be about two bu. I had a tree that died about 3 yrs ago and spouted from the root.This spring grafted 5 sprouts to it 4 out of the 5 took. In the grafting prosses I got the grafts mix up. [ hell to get old and forgetfull ] I hope it wasn't the honey crisp that didn't make it!!!! Onions are still looking good in the barn. YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote