Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 2, 2016   #91
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been following your journey off and on and i can't figure out why you're going overboard on the kitchen. I might have missed that part somewhere but you live alone and if it was me I wouldn't add anything more than a family of 5 would need. If you ever sold the place it would be at the standard level of expectations and if you didn't it would fit your needs. I just built a house myself, it's paid for and I don't have all the best of the best but it's better than most. I bought a GE 5 burner stove from HD and I'm totally happy with it. It puts out heat, more than I expected. It came with a griddle insert but I never use it because it only heats enough to do pancakes but it's great for simmering . It has the Powerboil burner at the right front, 1 small precision simmer burner behind it and 2 normal burners on the other side that cooks hotter than the biggest burner on an electric stove. The oven is also convection and that thing works like a charm. It has all the timers to start, stop, delayed start and stop timer. I have no complaints about it and when I cook gumbo I have to drop the AC temp before I start because it cranks out the heat even with the vent going.

I made a simple roasted chicken dish today and it came out great in 1 hour of baking in convection, chicken, greenbeans, onions, bell peppers and potatoes from the garden and 1 can of cream of celery soup with baked dinner rolls. 15 minutes prep and that includes browning the chicken, set it and forget it, go work and come back in whenever and it's still warm.

I like that last hood you posted, I think that's what I need to upgrade to. Another thing I saw is you had a small sink near the stove fill pots, I wouldn't eat up that counter space. Add a pot filler faucet and be done, it's also nice if you keep the coffee pot next to the stove.

Just my thoughts and I hope it helped some.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #92
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I've been following your journey off and on and i can't figure out why you're going overboard on the kitchen. I might have missed that part somewhere but you live alone and if it was me I wouldn't add anything more than a family of 5 would need. If you ever sold the place it would be at the standard level of expectations and if you didn't it would fit your needs. I just built a house myself, it's paid for and I don't have all the best of the best but it's better than most. I bought a GE 5 burner stove from HD and I'm totally happy with it. It puts out heat, more than I expected. It came with a griddle insert but I never use it because it only heats enough to do pancakes but it's great for simmering . It has the Powerboil burner at the right front, 1 small precision simmer burner behind it and 2 normal burners on the other side that cooks hotter than the biggest burner on an electric stove. The oven is also convection and that thing works like a charm. It has all the timers to start, stop, delayed start and stop timer. I have no complaints about it and when I cook gumbo I have to drop the AC temp before I start because it cranks out the heat even with the vent going.

I made a simple roasted chicken dish today and it came out great in 1 hour of baking in convection, chicken, greenbeans, onions, bell peppers and potatoes from the garden and 1 can of cream of celery soup with baked dinner rolls. 15 minutes prep and that includes browning the chicken, set it and forget it, go work and come back in whenever and it's still warm.

I like that last hood you posted, I think that's what I need to upgrade to. Another thing I saw is you had a small sink near the stove fill pots, I wouldn't eat up that counter space. Add a pot filler faucet and be done, it's also nice if you keep the coffee pot next to the stove.

Just my thoughts and I hope it helped some.

You will be surprised were I am headed with this as I haven't bought anything yet .
It is more of a lesson in what I want and what I need for myself and others.
This is what I want.
I want two ovens.
I want the darn knobs for the cook top controls the be in a safe place up front.
I want gas cook top.
I want convection cooking.
I want more than 4 burners just one more would do.

Okay here is what I need.
I need the knobs to be up front for safety reason.
I dont really need gas and if I was to get it I would have to put in gas as I dont have it now.
What I need is a more powerful burner just one will do.
I need two ovens like you cant imagine I hate not having two ovens.
So here is what I have found.

http://www.sears.com/lg-7.3-cu-ft-do...p-02287423000P

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #93
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It would be cheaper to just buy two ovens than one double. Wiring another 220 outlet is no big deal. If it were in the garage, the extra 220 outlet would look like another place to plug in a clothes dryer or a welder.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #94
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I bought a new glass top stove for my Mom, she's a clean freak and hates it because it gets dirty and once you burn a few things on it, it's there. Go gas and get a big tank. I bought a 200 gallon tank and it lasted almost 3 years and that's cooking at least twice as much as you will. The oven is what really uses the most gas compared to the stove.

I bought this stove but it's not being made anymore, http://products.geappliances.com/app...s/JGB605SETSS#

I like the gas stove over electric for me here in Louisiana and hurricanes, all the new models need 110V to work for safety reasons but I can run that on a 7500watt generator along with 2 5kbtu A/C's and be a happy camper.

Why do you need 2 ovens, just curious.
Old June 2, 2016   #95
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Another option is to lurk Craigslist and buy an old gas stove and rebuild it. I picked 1 up for $35 with 5 burners and a real working bottom broiler. I plan to use it in the outdoor kitchen when I get around to building it.
Old June 2, 2016   #96
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I bought a new glass top stove for my Mom, she's a clean freak and hates it because it gets dirty and once you burn a few things on it, it's there. Go gas and get a big tank. I bought a 200 gallon tank and it lasted almost 3 years and that's cooking at least twice as much as you will. The oven is what really uses the most gas compared to the stove.

I bought this stove but it's not being made anymore, http://products.geappliances.com/app...s/JGB605SETSS#

I like the gas stove over electric for me here in Louisiana and hurricanes, all the new models need 110V to work for safety reasons but I can run that on a 7500watt generator along with 2 5kbtu A/C's and be a happy camper.

Why do you need 2 ovens, just curious.
First I already have a glass top stove and I like it for the most part.
I even use cast iron on it.

I also know how to clean it and everything goes away.
Razor blade.
As for the gas stoves at least the cook tops you can run many of them without electricity.
Some have a 9 volt battery back up.

Why do I need two ovens?
Because I like to bake two different things at the same time at different temperatures.
Old June 2, 2016   #97
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Well with that said, I think the best option is to buy a new stove for the kitchen and put the old one in the garage and you got it covered. Plus you get the added benefit of cooking in the garage for a get-together or making hot sauce, frying fish or any other smell you don't want in the house.

Maybe you need an outdoor kitchen and just do some touch-up work in the main kitchen. I think I'm making the project bigger now but if 1 is good then 2 has to be better right. !!!!
Old June 2, 2016   #98
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well with that said, I think the best option is to buy a new stove for the kitchen and put the old one in the garage and you got it covered. Plus you get the added benefit of cooking in the garage for a get-together or making hot sauce, frying fish or any other smell you don't want in the house.

Maybe you need an outdoor kitchen and just do some touch-up work in the main kitchen. I think I'm making the project bigger now but if 1 is good then 2 has to be better right. !!!!
I think I am just about out of room in the garage.

Let me grab my tape measuer.
Old June 3, 2016   #99
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The old stove will fit between the air compressor and the meat processing station.
Thanks for the tip.
I wasn't going to get rid of it anyway.

Worth
Old June 3, 2016   #100
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

"Well with that said, I think the best option is to buy a new stove for the kitchen and put the old one in the garage and you got it covered."

I do disagree on this. If you are baking running from room to room gets old really fast. If you want two ovens and need two ovens and you use two ovens simultaneously then you want them fairly close.
Old June 3, 2016   #101
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

When you get around to fixtures, a Delta Touch faucet.

You don't think you need one until you get one, and then you wonder how you ever managed without it.

Imagine being able to hold something under running water with two hands, turning the water on and off with your forehead...!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #102
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I like the stove that Saltie found.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #103
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I took everyone's advice that tried to help me decide and came up with my own conclusion.
Thank you everyone.
You wouldn't believe this but I had several shopping carts on line with the items in them.
I took stuff off the cart and back on the cart.
One thing that was ticking me off was the darn ovens with the circuit boards and crazy programmable features I will never use.
Then on the one glass top range I picked out there was the compromise of the oven controls being in back.
So anyway without boring you to death with too much stuff I will show you what I ordered.
I single oven that does everything I ever wanted and oven to do plus it has knobs.
It even has a bread proofing feature that I can use and really wanted plus it is convection.
Here it is a really nice oven.
If I want another one I will make the wood fired oven as old chef suggested.
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-pro-30i...6&blockType=G6

This is the 36 inch gas cook top I ordered.
You can use it with the power off and it comes with an LPG conversion kit.
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-pro-36i...8&blockType=G8

I can put the oven under the cook top but I wont it will be at eye level on an other wall.
I don't have anyone here with me now but when I did it was could you move out of the way so I can check or do something in the oven.
This took some looking and the only comprise I have made was to get away from the so called commercial look on the cook top and just get one oven.

This has allowed me to stay within my planned budget ans on the plus side get what I think is one heck of a good oven to boot.
Worth
Old June 3, 2016   #104
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I like the proofing feature. Nice discounts, too.

You don't have natural gas to the house?
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #105
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No natural gas.
Going to get a big propane tank and hook it up.
Dropping the vent hood size down to 760 CFM.
That size allows me to run a charcoal filter if I want before I get the duct work done.

Worth