Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old September 22, 2009   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default seeking great-tasting pole beans

I found the bean of my dreams, La Vigneronne, but it seems to be available only from Swiss sources, and it looks like I'll have only a few saved seeds. I had 3 seeds last year! I like it because it's productive, is tender and sweet right off the vine without cooking (with only 3 vines, very few made it into the house), and it's pretty -- light green with burgundy spatters.

(The other beans I like are romano-type, but those are good only cooked.)

What other beans could I try that might be at least as good as La Vigneronne?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'm quite partial to the "Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Beans" aka Purple Stripes. I have a limited number if you want to try them. They produce quite vigourously - on huge vines, with pods that can reach 12" + with seeds sometimes over 1" in length. They're green pods with purple striping. And the beans are tannish-white with purple striping when dry. Good for fresh eating - chopped pods and all, shelled, dried. What can I say? I love 'em. If you're interested let me know.

Here is what Hope Seeds says about these beans...and they call them Mennonite Purple Stripes....so my temporary name for them wasn't that far off. LOL

Certified Organic
Ain't no taming the Purple Stripe! Vigorous vines challenge any pole, producing pretty shades-of-purple flowers yeilding abundant pods with tasty beans. Pods are green with deep purple streaks, and beans display the same purple streaks on a tan background (or reverse colouring). The best part: beans are tasty at any stage, surpisingly juicy even at the "in between" point between snap and dry. Seeds of Diversity Canada lists this variety as extremely rare.
Product code: 1020-CO
Price: A=$2.75 (25g) B=$8.00 (100g)

Last edited by Zana; September 22, 2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: adding info
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Zana, Thanks! That sounds like a great bean.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009   #4
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

I tried Dragon tng and loved it. Very productive, very crispy and beutiful. I also grew Gold of Bacau - it is yellow pole bean. Also great, once it started producing, it is still producing like crazy. Very tender with no side seam at all. The third one I loved was Rattlesnake look alike. It gave huge number of pods that in coloration resembled Rattlesnake, but were flatter and longer. Also completely stringless to the end(I have plenty to share, if you would like some to try).

Last edited by mayax68; October 4, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
mayax68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #5
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I've tasted the Mennonite bean and I agree it is tasty! Here's the link for Hope Seeds bean page http://www.hopeseed.com/beans.html
I've grown Romano Pole before and you can use it for green or shell. It make a lot of beans!
This year I grew Jembo Polish. It was oustanding. Vigorous from the get-go, tasty and no strings for such large pods. You can let the beans go to have shelling beans too. I'm not sure if it available commercially. I know people on the SSE list have it.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009   #6
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default Pole Beans

Hey Maya, I have alot of rattlesnakes and you are more than welcome to them! Oh and you also Remy!!

Dean
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2009   #7
tomatoaddict

I had the best bean I've ever eaten in my life this year. North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort. I know the name is long but...I didn't name it.
The most buttery, tender bean! I grew another greasy type but this one was superior. Now I know why people go crazy trying to get ahold of greasy beans. I will be listing it with SSE this year but if you aren't a member, pm me.
Old October 13, 2009   #8
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I had the best bean I've ever eaten in my life this year. North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort. I know the name is long but...I didn't name it.
The most buttery, tender bean! I grew another greasy type but this one was superior. Now I know why people go crazy trying to get ahold of greasy beans. I will be listing it with SSE this year but if you aren't a member, pm me.

Did you eat these as shelly beans or in the pod? Well-cooked or just tender?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2009   #9
tomatoaddict

Hi Ruth.... I cooked them like snap beans in the pods. I always cook mine for a few hours. The tenderness was just the bean itself as I always cook my beans a long time and not all are this tender.
Old October 17, 2009   #10
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

HI Dean, thanks for your offer. I also grew the real Rattlesnake and actually preffered the look alikes. Someone here mentioned a Canadian bean variety that is green and has purple stripes. I looked it up and I think my Rattlesnake lookalike is that variety. It originally came from Canada. One of my relatives brought these seeds with him after vacationing in Canada. I do not want to make the claim that I know their name for a fact and therefore I just call them look alikes for Rattlesnake. They are much longer and much more flatter though. They also have buttery taste and if you can believe it they are still producing in CT. Like I said, it was a teffific year for pole beans. So if you would like to try them, you are welcome to them
Old October 17, 2009   #11
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mayax68,

If they are indeed the Mennonite Purple Stripes (aka Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Bean) they seem to produce in high heat, but will kick out pods until the snow flies! I've had years where I was harvesting until the end of November, here in Kitchener-Waterloo. Hardy as hell. I've had pods grow as long as 14" - 15"(35cm-37.5cm) with seeds over an inch long. And vines that just keep on going. And that was with planting them in containers! I had them in 2 or 3 containers that were about 24" (60cm) high and about 30" (76cm)diametre.
Old October 17, 2009   #12
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

How well do you think the Mennonite Purple Stripes would do in a cool short season environment? I am definitely growing some type of pole bean in my greenhouse next season.
Sue

Last edited by akgardengirl; October 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2009   #13
ShowmeDseeds
Tomatovillian™

I've grown a short pole bean called 'Ga-Ga-Hut' for several years.

Seeds are available from Heritage Harvest Seeds, which has about 50 varieties of heirloom beans. Their description of Ga-Ga-Hut follows:

>Ga Ga Hut Pinto - Originally grown by the Seneca Indians, this is a very early and productive pinto bean. The tall vines are disease free and grow to 6-7 feet high. Can also be grown on tall varieties of corn. Excellent variety! (95 days) Pole. RARE.

http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/pages/b3.html

Heritage Harvest is in Manitoba--so the 95 day maturity is for that climate. Here in southern Missouri, they mature to dry in 70-75 days.

This is a very unusual and excellent pole bean. Its fruiting habit is more like that of a bush bean. All of the beans mature in about a two-week time frame, and then the plants dry up.

The snap beans are excellent. When small, they are very sweet when raw. Even when larger they still make fine cooked beans--we stir fry them with soy sauce and garlic. And they are very early--about 48 days here in Missouri, about as early as any bush bean for me.

They're also very adaptable. I'm still getting beans this week, with recent high temperatures in the 50's F and lows in the 30's. But they have produced as well when the temps here have been in the upper 90's.

I have seed, and Heritage Harvest seeds ships to at least the U.S. and Canada.

Stuart
ShowmeDseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2009   #14
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of my Rattle Snake look alike. The beans are green as soon as you take them out of the pod. When dried they are a warm tan color with purple specs. I also included a picture of real rattlesnakes dried - they are a different shade, more grey then tan, but also have purple specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000174.jpg (245.4 KB, 129 views)
Old September 16, 2012   #15
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
How well do you think the Mennonite Purple Stripes would do in a cool short season environment? I am definitely growing some type of pole bean in my greenhouse next season.
Sue
Sorry for the late reply. I found they produced quickly and kept on producing even as the temps dropped. When I had them growing in huge quantity the containers that they were growing on were sitting on a concrete patio. They survived a number of light frosts before temps well below freezing finally killed them off. But temps even down into the mid 30's F didn't seem to kill them off completely. So you may do well with them Sue.