Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2015   #1
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Default What variety is this? Pomehana Apple?

I ordered seeds for Pomehana Apple from Tom Wagner's web site earlier this spring.
All of the seedlings came up the same, and with this same unique looking foliage.
Is this what this variety is expected to look like?
I'm curious, because the web site description didn't indicated the fuzzy grey-green color of the foliage on this plant.

Thanks,

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PomehanaApple_plant1b.jpg (452.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg PomehanaApple_plant2b.jpg (400.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg PomehanaApple_plant3b.jpg (355.7 KB, 67 views)

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Lee, the only variety I've run into that has that degree of fuzzy foliage is Angora Orange which came from Gleckler Seedsman. I have seen slight "angora" looks from several other varieties, but not to this level of fuzz. It is always "remarkable" when I look into the garden and this stands out.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Tom sells alot of different varieties that do not yet grow true. It gives us a chance to select something great. Heck i dont think i have once bought seeds from his website that were open pollinated. I have private messaged him on a couple of questionable varieties to find out at what stage of selection they were in. Some were F3 some F4 and so on. Grow yours out and seed what it may bring. You never know you could hit a homerun.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

True enough comments about the stability. And I really don't mind that aspect at all. Makes things more interesting!
However, I would not expect "angora/fuzzy" blue/green/grey foliage to be dominant, yet every plant turned out that way. So, it seems what I got was at least stable for those characteristics.
The description on the web site didn't mention it at all, which seems odd considering the rarity of this foliage, if it were expected.

Anyway, I suppose I will know more once I get ripe fruit.....

Now, perhaps I should harvest a little pollen and see if I can get this leaf type/color in a dwarf.... hmmmm

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #5
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you should. That is very atractive foliage. I think I would grow that even if it wasn't the greatest tomato.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote