Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2018   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default ISPL/RL UPDATE

Back in May, I started a thread about IS seeds that I thought were RL but turned out that all were PL, with the exception of one seedling. I then decided to sow a few more just for the sake of seeing if it would happen again, and they were PL with again, one RL. In any event, I grew out from the first batch the RL and one PL side by side.

Both plants have grown like monsters - I have never had IS plants so tall and so loaded with fruit. Both plants are producing large tomatoes, and foliage on both are enormous. The other thing that I noticed with both plants were a lot of fused tomatoes and quite a few mega blooms.

I will be saving seed from both and see what happens next year.

What a great tomato year it’s been for me. In spite of intense heat and humidity, and squirrels, it’s been quite a bumper crop.

PL on the left, Rl to the right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1E08C5F1-1C33-47FD-8F03-6FBE7CFCA008.jpg (369.0 KB, 136 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #2
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Great pic! I have never grown IS-you are inspiring me to put it on the emerging list to grow.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Those are some beautiful tomatoes!

I grew ISPL last year . . . and miss it this year.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #4
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Those are gorgeous! My ISPLs have all cracked due to rain, and they've been really soft when ripe. ISRL didn't do too well last year, either. I really wished they liked it here. (Next year I'll go back to Cherokee Purple, which has done well every time I've grown it.)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Rain has been in short supply this year. I have been bringing them in early, at the first sign that they are going to break color. The squirrels have been pretty aggressive this year, so I’m not taking too many chances. Indian Stripe has always performed very well for me - CP not so much.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

OK, I give -- what's IS? Presume it stands for something longer?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #7
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
OK, I give -- what's IS? Presume it stands for something longer?

-GG
Indian stripe.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #8
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Potato leaf and regular leaf.

jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Looking great Sharon. I wish I had grown IS this year. Margaret Curtain has taken ages to produce, and I'm sure the flavor is not as good...…

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I got some Indian Stripe PL seeds this summer, so I now I know what they should look like.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Looking great Sharon. I wish I had grown IS this year. Margaret Curtain has taken ages to produce, and I'm sure the flavor is not as good...…

Linda
Linda, in my garden I find that the taste of Margaret Curtin is very far superior to Indian stripe
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh don't tell me that Marsha, MC kept me waiting for so long and at least IS gives a couple of tomatoes early before taking a break in production {LOL}.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Linda, in my garden I find that the taste of Margaret Curtin is very far superior to Indian stripe
Marsha,have you ever grown Margaret Curtain,IS PL and IS RL in the same season?

I ask b/c I do think that there are many variables that are uncontrollable.

If you haven't grown all 3 in the same season,why not do it and take some pictures to show us b/c your pictures are good.

It's kind of like that other thread here where folks were supposed to be comparing two similar varieties.

Carolyn
Old August 11, 2018   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Those are gorgeous! My ISPLs have all cracked due to rain, and they've been really soft when ripe. ISRL didn't do too well last year, either. I really wished they liked it here. (Next year I'll go back to Cherokee Purple, which has done well every time I've grown it.)
Try Spudakee. It is the potato leaf version of Cherokee Purple and handles inclement weather better with less cracking and better production. For a hot dry summer nothing beats Indian Stripe PL but it isn't the best for rainly weather.

If you have had that much rain it wouldn't matter too much what black variety of tomato you were growing. They all do poorly in lots of rain and the worst two are Margaret Curtain and Black Krim in my experience. Probably the best ones for handling lots of rain are Gary O' Sena and Spudakee.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Marsha,have you ever grown Margaret Curtain,IS PL and IS RL in the same season?

I ask b/c I do think that there are many variables that are uncontrollable.

If you haven't grown all 3 in the same season,why not do it and take some pictures to show us b/c your pictures are good.

It's kind of like that other thread here where folks were supposed to be comparing two similar varieties.

Carolyn
I usually grow all three at the same time and in the same bed for comparison but this year I had a bad run of grafts with my Indian Stripe PL plants so they didn't go out until a couple of weeks ago but they already are setting some fruit. If the drier weather of fall comes early then I expect good production from them but you never know. Usually ISPL out produces all other varieties in our hot summer and fall.

We have not had a ton of rain but we have had several days with more than an inch and MC has been busting like crazy. It does fine with limited water and drier conditions but hot weather and good rain do not work for it. Reminds me of what Black Krim does in similar weather.

This year of the blacks I have grown JDs Special C Tex and Gary O' Sena have been the standout producers and both have set a lot of large beautiful fruits. The other black that has done well is Spudakee. Regular leaf Indian Stripe has been disappointing this season in that it hasn't been as productive as usual but it has produced some good sized fruits.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote