Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 5, 2018   #1
robrpb
Tomatovillian™

Default Campari and Grape seeds

My sister asked me grow some Campari and grape tomatoes. What variety seeds would you recommend and where to buy them? Thanks.
robrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Rajun Gardener should know something about Camparis. If he doesn't reply here, maybe PM him.

As for grapes, there are a lot of them. What does she like in a grape tomato? Sweet? Big tomato flavor?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #3
robrpb
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Nan for your reply. My sister likes sweet, thin skin, and flavor too. Is there such a one?
Old August 7, 2018   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrpb View Post
Thanks Nan for your reply. My sister likes sweet, thin skin, and flavor too. Is there such a one?
I just started a post about the Bred By Johnny's and they had some grape tomatoes bred by them.

Not a grape tomato, but Sun Peach definitely fits the 'sweet, thin skin, and flavor bill'. I grew it the first time in '17-18 and my plants were sowed August '17 and torned down July 18. It is from Tokita (same breeders as SunGold).

I will be watching replies to your thread too.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #5
robrpb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I just started a post about the Bred By Johnny's and they had some grape tomatoes bred by them.

Not a grape tomato, but Sun Peach definitely fits the 'sweet, thin skin, and flavor bill'. I grew it the first time in '17-18 and my plants were sowed August '17 and torned down July 18. It is from Tokita (same breeders as SunGold).
Thanks Barb. I will try those. Now for the camparis.

Barb, may I have the link for the post you referenced above. I noticed that you don't live that far north of me, may I ask what tomato varieties have you had good success with there? Thanks.
Old August 10, 2018   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrpb View Post
Thanks Barb. I will try those. Now for the camparis.

PM your address and I'll send you some seeds.
Old July 28, 2021   #7
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Bumping an old thread.

I grew exactly one seedling from Campari this year, knowing that F2's often exhibit similar traits to mom.

What I got was a fairly typical cluster tomatoe generally delivering 3-8 tomatoes in a "tress". Indeterminate, regular leaf, but not a rampant plant: perhaps similar to Bloody Butcher in size, but closer to the "open, spare" habit of Stupice/Kotlas. Fruit ripens about 5 days after those.

Flavor is as Campari from the grocery store: good, and marvelous in February...but not really much better than the other earlies grown at home.

Mine is growing in a plastic bushel basket, about 7 or 8 gallons, on our deck.

The leaves framing the pic are soup celery to the right and Bloody Butcher, left.

I have not decided if I want to save seeds and dehybridize; not enough better than several that process is already done with. I'm sure somebody has, by now. I can buy more Campari's and germinate an F2 easily, too

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by eyolf; July 28, 2021 at 10:05 AM.
eyolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

How was the foliage on your Campari F2? I grew these several years ago, and the foliage was sparse, leading to a lot of sunscald. I also wonder if there are different Campari versions, depending on the time of the year and location where grown.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #9
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
How was the foliage on your Campari F2? I grew these several years ago, and the foliage was sparse, leading to a lot of sunscald. I also wonder if there are different Campari versions, depending on the time of the year and location where grown.
Spare and sparse.
I suspect Campari is a greenhouse variety.

This one grows on my deck, where it is subjected to dappled sun/shade during the middle of the day. I don't think I would expect sunscald, and growth/ripening may be slowed.

All 3 feet of it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk