Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 29, 2015   #31
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I"m not a breeder nor do I understand much other than basics of genes and the lingo here, but really have enjoyed reading all of you who understand it. I could follow much of what is being said, so thank you for not getting too geeky on me.

Having said that, I love Sungold F1 and really would love to grow some of the Sunlucky seeds if they become available.

Now I need to find Gardener's Delight, Sunsugar and Sweet 100's as I don't know these YET.

My volunteer Sungold F2 are red this year. Bigger as well. Not as good and I must remember to check the foliage for its unique scent.

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2015   #32
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I also couldn't load Tatiana's site today either Carolyn. I wanted to find a tomato that is hollow like for stuffing.

zeroma
Old August 29, 2015   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
I also couldn't load Tatiana's site today either Carolyn. I wanted to find a tomato that is hollow like for stuffing.

zeroma
I just tried again and nothing.

I called Tania 2 days ago and all I'll say is that she has some very serious medical problems and maybe that's why the site is down except her husband Stan has a full time job as a computer expert and perhaps when he gets home tonight ( 3 hrs difference from me where it's almost 9 PM), he can deal with it.

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2015   #34
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I just tried again and nothing.

I called Tania 2 days ago and all I'll say is that she has some very serious medical problems and maybe that's why the site is down except her husband Stan has a full time job as a computer expert and perhaps when he gets home tonight ( 3 hrs difference from me where it's almost 9 PM), he can deal with it.

Carolyn
Oh no is Tania ok? What ever it is i hope she gets well soon.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2015   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Oh no is Tania ok? What ever it is i hope she gets well soon.
I probably should not have said anything, but there are a few here who know that she started having symptoms several years ago but she received all kinds of diagnoses after all kinds of tests and medicines, and still it has progressed. But recent tests/information have clarified the situation/

She isn't OK and she won't be getting better, sadly.

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2015   #36
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Prayers to Tania.
Old August 31, 2015   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania's site is back up and I'm so very glad about that so it was a power outage . When I posted here on Saturday AM nothing was known about that huge storm and knowing what she had told me on the phone I thought it might be due to her health, I was wrong about that, but don't regret posting what I did post at the time.

So a warm wecome back to Tania.

Carolyn
Old September 6, 2015   #38
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

This is a pic of Swamper's Black Mystery X Lycopimp. Note the intense red color which comes through in this F1 cross. A larger version is available here. http://www.selectedplants.com/garden...ycomystery.jpg

Last edited by Fusion_power; September 6, 2015 at 03:10 AM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2015   #39
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Only a fraction of the F2 seedlings of Sungold will be scented and the brix level of the fruit from those plants is significantly higher. That is true in succeeding generations as well. This was discussed in a thread some time ago.
Sungold has habrochaites in it as Fusion said. I finally made a viable cross using LA1777 and it has that distinctive odor as well. The fruit is quite odd, however.
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDxg2 fruit.JPG (112.4 KB, 58 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2015   #40
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

habrochaites? please explain this term for a curious grower but not a breeder.
Old October 7, 2015   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
habrochaites? please explain this term for a curious grower but not a breeder.
First the Google search for you:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...m+habrochaites

And now what I think is the best link from the above for the non scientist/breeder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycopersicon

It has had different names in the past which I knew it by and didn't even know that the species name had been changed until a couple of years ago.

So now you should know why this spoecies has been associated with Sungold F1 and the various derivatives of that as well as with other breeding programs,

Hope that helps,

Carolyn