Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2013   #1
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall tomatoes - starting/growing?

I'm new to starting tomatoes for late planting. I already have the seedlings up. My question is do you still grow them inside under lights like the ones for spring planting or do you grow them outside. They're a long keeping variety and I wanted them just getting ripe before our first frost.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #2
crocee
Tomatovillian™

I would harden them off/adapt them to full sun and plant them out with the big boys/girls.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I agree the sooner you get them adapted to the outside climate the better off they will be once you put them in the garden. You can stagger setting them out if they are not growing at the same pace. I have been setting out a few every two weeks or so since my big March planting and will continue for at least another month and a half.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #4
JerryRVA
Tomatovillian™

My best luck with starting fall seedlings is to direct sow in 4 inch pots inside and move them all out in all day full sun as soon as the first seed is sprouting. Makes for really husky plants that grow fast.
JerryRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRVA View Post
My best luck with starting fall seedlings is to direct sow in 4 inch pots inside and move them all out in all day full sun as soon as the first seed is sprouting. Makes for really husky plants that grow fast.
I do this sometimes but the biggest drawback is they are susceptible to all of the foliage diseases drifting around outside. I have had all my seedlings get EB and some get Gray Mold or Septoria while outside waiting to be planted. I like to set them out about two weeks prior to planting in the garden to lessen the time they are exposed and I spray them with a fungicide while they are hardening off as a precaution also.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote