Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2013   #16
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking of moving it from my raised bed garden into my perennial garden. It is just as nice as my salvia.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #17
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Sage is a beautiful plant. I currently have three kinds growing in containers.

If I had to store it for cooking, I'd chop and freeze in ice cube trays with some olive oil. Then you can drop it into your cooking when needed.
Old June 29, 2013   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sage flowers and the resinous purple bracts also make an awesome spice for salad dressings and can be dried to add to herb teas. The flowers are of course sweet, and the bracts as well are full of anthocyanins as well as the other goodly sage stuff.

Most important use for sage that I know: If you get a cut in the garden, wrap a fresh sage leaf over it and seal tight with bandaid or better yet, medical tape. When you remove it, the cut will be healed open but completely clean. Fresh sage will clean any wound if it is tightly sealed, and stop infections. Very useful first aid.

Sage is quite a hardy perennial BTW, I have sage in my garden here in NL that is 20 years old.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote