Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 10, 2015   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee Seed Starting Mix

$3.49 a bag at Menards:
http://www.menards.com/main/p-2222920-c-10125.htm

I started using this mix this year, and I wanted to post a thread here to say that I like it a lot. I have a hard time using my peat-based pro mix to start seeds, because the top of the container will crust over and the sprouts have a difficult time breaking through. The Burpee mix is mostly coco-peat, and it does not seem to have the crusting over problem at all. Everything has been going great. I have nice-looking seedlings.

It's also cheap. Last year I bought a $20 bag of Fox Farm Light Warrior seed-starting mix. It's great stuff, but the price is ridiculous.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip- I'll have to look for it. Gave up on Pro-Mix, too, and so far this season just got a couple bags of Organic Miracle Grow. So far, so good...

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great price - unfortunately, Menards isn't in my state (PA). Anyone see similar pricing at other large chains? Shipping is so expensive on mixes.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

If you have a local wholesale greenhouse supplier in your region you can always find things like potting mix much cheaper. Even if you don't have an actual business they will often sell to small/backyard growers. I just called and ask them. Some things they only sell in bulk or by the case but I get Metro Mix 360 for 10$ a bag from the one here. It works great and being a 79 liter bag it is very economical.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

No need to fret over not having access to Menards, The size of the Burpee bag is about the same as any starter mix in the big box stores.

I'm fox farm fan for its ease of use but agree it is too costly for this short term use and this will be my last bag. I love the espoma product but that is hard to find on my area. Great idea to buy from the local nursery. 3 cubic feet and dense planting, that will last for a few years! My local nursery uses Berger products.

If you use the dense planting method do you have any difficulty separating the roots in a coir medium?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #6
topazgirl170
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried the Burpee's SS mix. What I've used the past two years is the following:

Black Gold Seedling Mix - $4 to 5- Bought at my local nurservy. I thought it was okay.
Espoma Organic SS Mix - $6 at my local garden store. Worked very well.
Promix ultimate organic seed starting mix - So far so good. My first year using it.
Gardener's Supply Germinating Mix - $7 for 9qt. bag. Fantastic stuff(not organic) but very finely milled. Retains water well. Ordered online from the Gardener's Supply website. They run sales periodically, US company and they have a stores in Vermont.
Gardener's Supply Organic SS Mix - My favorite SS mix. $10 6 qts. Because it contains compost, large pieces of bark and twigs must be picked out. Seedlings germinate fast, growing strong and healthy.

Last edited by topazgirl170; March 15, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
topazgirl170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've been mixing in vermiculite with the Burpee mix to make it go farther. Menards sells it as insulation: http://www.menards.com/main/building...908-c-5777.htm
Old February 15, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The Burpee Mix was ok, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy it again.

It's almost one year later, and I am starting this year's seeds. I have about 2/3 of a bag of Light Warrior left from last year, some pro mix from last year, and some leftover vermiculite.

My current recipe is to fill the bottom half or so of the cells with pro-mix:
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...02568123233868

It's mostly peat, and good for retaining water. But it is horrible by itself as seed starting mix, because the top crusts over and prevents the sprouts from breaking through. It's cheap, though, and works on the bottom.

The next layer, around the seed itself, gets my expensive stuff, the Fox Farm Light Warrior. I'm hoping to get two years out of my $20 bag.

I don't use a humidity dome, and I keep my seed-sprouting room very warm, so keeping the top from drying out is a challenge. Vermiculite is the best at holding moisture without crusting over. It dries into sand. Even the Light Warrior has a little bit of a top crust due to the peat in it. Vermiculite is also easy to tell by sight when it is drying out.
Old February 15, 2016   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

I was never able to find the Burpee organic, and wasn't thrilled with the organic Miracle Grow, so I resorted to the Pro-Mix because of the ease of availability and cheap price for the big bale. Today I just picked up a bag of Burpee Seed Starting mix which is 60-70% peat along with some vermiculite, coir pith and lime. At least it's a fresh unopened bag, unlike last year's leftover ProMix. Like your idea of putting PM on the bottom.

I use a dome but prop the ends up, fan it a bit when I remember and spray it every day with diluted H2O2/water until the first sprouts are up and it seems to prevent fuzzies and damping off.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016   #10
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

when I poke your link, it says on sale until 2-28-16 for 2.88. I like the burpee mix, works like a charm. I only grow about 100 seedlings of various things, so don't need a truck load. very fluffy.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote