Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25, 2017   #11
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

Rosemary is my favorite herb. God made it to be used with poultry. It is fantastic and a must with pork. It works really, really well with a light touch on white meat fish. It is a natural herb to use with any kind of lamb meat.

I am the cheapest member of this forum and I look for the cheapest, lowest costing way to do everything in my life. My mission with regard to container tomatoes is to develop the optimum recipe for grow media and ferts in the smallest Self-Watering container all at the lowest cost...I am very close. But, with regard to a rosemary plant, Buy one and then plant it in the dirt in your yard. It is extremely hardy and will produce all the rosemary you will ever need for cooking for life once it reaches a shrub that is 1 foot in diameter. Keep trimming every four months to keep it that size. Rosemary is a gift to man kind.

BTW, if you unwisely decide not to grow one of your own, don't worry. When ever you need rosemary to cook with, grab a pair of scissors and walk your neighborhood. Before you get half way down the block, you will see a rosemary bush in someone's garden. Politely walk up to the front door and gently ask if you can cut a few twigs of their rosemary bush to complete a meal. You will always find rosemary in some one's garden wherever you live in this USA. Once, at my daughters house in Long Beach CA, she was fretting about not having any rosemary for the preparation of a roast chicken dinner she was hosting. She reluctantly followed my advise, we got a pair of scissors, walked down her street, saw a rosemary bush within 5 houses, and I cut a few twigs as the plant was at the sidewalk. We walked back to my daughter's house on the other side of the street and saw two more rosemary bushes. My daughter now lives in Orange County in a townhome. Her town home is at a corner and the entire green belt that surrounds her house is one giant rosemary thatch. It is my contention that God is messaging to us all to use more rosemary in our cooking...and I am not a religious guy at all. You can trust me on that.

Oh yeah, don't grow cilantro for yourself. Buy it from ethnic food markets...$.33/bunch. Too delicate to grow, too long to grow, you'll never have enough on hand on an ongoing basis if you grow it yourself. And, don't plant mint in a garden. Mint is evil, it will grow into everything around it and take over and it is as hard to weed it out as it is to weed out evil in our society...actually, impossible to weed out either.

Grow mint in shallow containers and learn to make Mojitos and Mint Juleps with it. Put plenty of it in home made Pho and use it as garnish at every opportunity. Put in in all your umbrella drinks as a garnish as well as with most all desserts. Using mint in this way will elevate your stature as a kind of gourmet among friends and family.

Last edited by BajaMitch; March 25, 2017 at 05:29 PM.
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote