Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 5, 2010   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Growth Habits

In my pruning post, Tom Wagner mentioned the prostrate habit of Skagit Valley Gold affecting spacing and production. This type of information will affect where I choose to put different varieties in my small bed (mulched, not hilled). Tall and late season varieties should go to the north or to the interior of the bed while prostrate varieties should go along the edges, but I don't know which is which for most of them. Also, I looked up some varieties and found the same thing listed as early, mid and late season depending on website (big help ).

So if anybody could help me with the growth habit of the following varieties, and/or tell me if they are short, mid or late season it would be appreciated in a big way.

Thanks,

TZ

Nordic October
October Blood
Lumpic
Mule Skinner Red
Mule Skinner Blues
Irish Apple
Reiche Tom
Cosighin
Boyd Dude
Juanita Norte
Vita
Capt. Kern
281080 = Solanum tuberosum subsp. andigenum
Amey
Saturna
Reba
Peanut=Mandel
Nicola

Thumbed Nose.

Prostrate varieties (correct?)

Skagit Valley Gold
Sarpo Mirage
Sarpo Finger
Sarpo Tongue
Mira Mira = F-2 Sarpo Mira
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Sorry TZ i cant help you with your question as ive never grown any of those variates before,but is that your list of which you are growing this season and in what sized area??
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Most of those varieties are from Tom's sampler pack, one small seed tuber each, with a few more of peanut, and some TSP plants that can go someplace else. I am space limited, (I have to work with fences and stumps, and other vegetables but did some more digging and can give them at least 18 inches-1/2meter spacing, but they will still be in blocks 3-4 plants wide by 5-7 deep, so some of them have to go on the inside. I read that the Sarpos are either tall, or have "an unusual horizontal growth habit". Which sounds like they might not play nice with some of the other varieties.

I have decided to put the diploids (SVG and Thumbed Nose) next to each other on the outside to help the bees a bit because I want berries.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Sorry I am not on line to answer the growth habit questions...been busy planting over 300 varieties of potatoes and dozens of varieties of tomatoes.....potatoes outdoors and tomatoes in the ground within a greenhouse.

BTW, the Thumbed Nose with those beautiful blue flowers will have ample pollen to help set berries on the SVG. :+)
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote