Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2020   #1
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Default Large tomato trellis clips

Does anyone have good source for tomato clips that are larger than the standard 25mm? Thanks for your help!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2020   #2
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I've never seen anything bigger than the jumbo which are 25mm, the standard ones are 23mm.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2020   #3
seasyde
Tomatovillian™

I rarely need anything larger, but when i do I clip 2 together.
seasyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2020   #4
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

One of my giant tomatoes stems measured 2-1/4" in diameter. That's the biggest that I've ever grown I think. I just use the jumbo clips up higher wherever they will fit.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2020   #5
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for your input. I am trying to clip to stakes that are larger and with a huge stem-well that's why 25mm is too small. I will just tie the places I need. and use normal clips for most else.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2020   #6
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I grow in concrete mesh cages, mostly.

I have 24. This year I am experimenting with a modified trellis strategy for the extras. Basically, a variation on the fence panel idea, except using a leftover roll of what locals call "sheep netting". So far it seems to look like it's working: a 7foot steel fencepost driven into the ground every 8 feet, with two courses of 36" fence tied to the posts. About 6" of fence stands above the fence posts.

So far, tomatoes are woven in and out through the spaces between the wires, and are holding on well. We will see when the fruits start sizing up.

The individual that gave me the idea generally prunes the bottom foot from his tomato plants' suckers and leaves, and gets along with a single course of fence about a foot off the ground They DO overtop the fence, and by late summer look awful, drooping into the paths around his tomatoes. Since my fence is about 6 feet tall, I don't expect a great deal of this.

I hope it works.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk