Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 12, 2020   #16
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

The average CEC for my county (Lancaster) was 13.1 last year and although my report is not given in ppm like yours, the average P for my county was 242 ppm, K was 283 ppm and Ca was 2013 ppm. Sulfur is not included in the averages reported and it is not checked on the standard soil test.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020   #17
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

Steve Solomon in his book would target S at half the Mg level which means in your case your sulphur is fairly low. It also seems your Phosphorus is pretty low.

I generally like the ideas of the Albrecht system but I'm not sure its correct to say they are fully generally accepted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base-c...io#Conclusions

The conclusion here was that most of the positive effects could be attributed to liming and raising soil pH.

https://www.agricology.co.uk/field/b...is-what-it-you

Generally I think its good to have a wide range of soil nutrients in some sort of balance but at times it seems there isn't so much actual scientific evidence to back it all up.

It would seem for such a fundamental thing as soil fertility and the claims made there would be an abundance of scientifically run field trials to back up those claims.

Last edited by DavidP; May 12, 2020 at 07:02 PM.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2020   #18
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

The Albrecht Formula is not accepted mostly by agonomists at land grant colleges and growers who have little interest in growing organically. The formula for converting PPA and ppm is 1 ppm equals 2 PPA.
Old May 15, 2020   #19
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

How many of you have read the "Intelligent Gardener" by Solomon and of those how many agree with his target values for soil? The method he uses to target potassium is different than all other agronomists and he has only anecdotal information to back it up. If you agree with Solomon, why?
Old May 16, 2020   #20
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

For specific questions about that book and his recommendations. I'd suggest looking into this group , its moderated by Steve Solomon and he often responds directly to questions

https://groups.io/g/Soilandhealth

https://soilandhealth.org/steve-solomons-home-page/
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #21
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

I have asked Solomon about his target values for potassium in his book and his response was that he had changed his mind on what they should be. He says that in his book he was interested in increasing the protein levels in the vegetables and fruits that he was growing. And that his thoughts were aimed more toward soils with a TCEC of around 12. He believes that potassium levels should be thought of as relating more directly to the TCEC of the soil you are growing in and that the crops you are growing also need to be taken into consideration. I would add to that the level of soil life is another factor that deserves some thought.