Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2011   #1
tedln

Default Glecklers?

I started a lot of OP tomato seed germinating on January 2. I had been checking the Glecklers seed site often to see if they had posted their new varieties for 2011. Much of the seed I planted, I had to order from other sites simply because I knew my planting date was approaching. Is it normal to still be processing seed in January for 2011 garden sales? I want to order some from Glecklers simply because I know they sell good product and they are small.

Ted
Old January 6, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I started a lot of OP tomato seed germinating on January 2. I had been checking the Glecklers seed site often to see if they had posted their new varieties for 2011. Much of the seed I planted, I had to order from other sites simply because I knew my planting date was approaching. Is it normal to still be processing seed in January for 2011 garden sales? I want to order some from Glecklers simply because I know they sell good product and they are small.

Ted
Ted, did you read the thread about Gleckler's in the Seed Source Forum? Adam said that he hoped to have the site updated by last night or today, and let's hope for that b'c he is well aware of those who need seed earlier.

It's not a matter of processing seed, it's a matter of doing germination on the seed already processed and then uploading pictures and blurbs, for over 100 tomato varieties, which is not done quickly. Most sites introduce usually less than 10 varities/year and he's trying to do 100.

And if you read that thread you'll see that I also posted that there had been a death in the family.

For sure Adam had hoped to have everything updated earlier, but sometimes circumstances prevent that from happening. And I hope that folks would be understanding about that.
Old January 6, 2011   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I would like to add that as a small family run seed company myself, YES, I'm still processing a few buckets of seed when the weather cooperates.

Right now I have 30+ varieties germination testing and another 30 varieties drying and will be tested next week, I hope.

My web site is a mess as I've barely got the names up with no descriptions or pics and I have no idea when I'll get around to that part.

So be parient with us small companies. We do the best we can. But it's not easy being "chief cook and bottle washer" of a 1 or 2 (wo)man company.

Virtually ALL the big catalog companies don't actually GROW the seed they sell. They just buy it wholesale from the few corps that do the growing and then they re-pack it in their own fancy packages.

At least I don't also have an outside off farm job too as several of the other small growers have. There aren't enough hours in the day for me for that too. I don't know how Adam from Glecklers and Glen from Sandhill find the energy for all of that.

Just a little insight into our world.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #4
tedln

Thanks Carolyn and Carol,

Yes, I do understand and appreciate the difficulty of what you are doing in the short time available between fall harvest and spring sales. I've also been watching your site Carol. You are doing a good job. I was simply concerned that Glecklers was probably missing out on a lot of orders because germination time in the South is here. I know they are a small company trying to restart an old Brand. I appreciate their efforts and will continue to do business with them.

Ted