Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 15, 2012   #1
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic starts?

who do you like to get your garlic starts from?
I am looking for big, hot spicy - artichoke-types & soft necks primarily

Do not need or want to pay for organic
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #2
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I get most of my garlic from 'The Garlic Store'. They are certified organic but I don't find their prices higher than most others.

www.thegarlicstore.com/
Old May 15, 2012   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

starts? are those plants? i never heard of planting anything but cloves. onions are sold as plants, i never heard of garlic but that doesn't mean it's not possible just that i never heard of it.

if i buy garlic i'd go to wegrowgarlic.com or i'd buy from lee taylor i don't think he has a website but his email is lee_1_1_1@hotmail.com . i have bought from both when looking for specific varieties and recommend both.

you can go to a garlic festival or farmer's market to buy garlic.

i got some varieties from lee last august via the mail and they were beautiful bulbs, nice size with nice size cloves, very reasonable prices. they have come up fine along with all the other garlic i planted from my own stock.

this fall i am going to http://www.hudsonvalleygarlic.com/ in saugerties ny which is way too far for you but very well known around here. i want to stock up on rocambole varieties and change what i am growing.

a lot of garlic sources charge an arm and a leg, i mean $22 a pound is hiway robbery but the 2 i noted are reasonable and trust worthy.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #4
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I buy mine from at the Saugerties Garlic Festival - in fact I'll be joining Tom there this September.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #5
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Saugerties is great, I would seek out Ireland Farms when there. He has great garlic.
Ireland Farms
Jim & Mary Ann Ireland
971 Co. Rt 8
Fulton, Ny 13069
315−592−7354
WaterLil@Twcny.rr.com

Also i got some interesting garlic from http://www.ivansnewgarlics.com/Home.html
Because he grows from seed, the chance of virus is lower.

Good seed garlic is scarce and costly due to nematode infestations. That has lessened my desire to experiment with new varieties. A friend soaks his newly acquired seed garlic briefly in vodka to eliminate the pests.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #6
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
A friend soaks his newly acquired seed garlic briefly in vodka to eliminate the pests.
What a great idea! Garlic flavored vodka sounds nice!

TomNJ
Old May 15, 2012   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'l have to drive over to them and get some garlic to plant later this year or maybe they go to the regional market in Syracuse. Fulton is only about 35 miles from me.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012   #8
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
I buy mine from at the Saugerties Garlic Festival - in fact I'll be joining Tom there this September.

TomNJ
HA, ditto. We have some chesnok red growing from last year almost knee high already.

I take an empty backpack with me and try to get there before the published opening time on the first day. I can usually fill the pack completely in less than an hour and be headed back to the car. As you know, if the weather is good there can be 15-20k people show up each day.
Old May 18, 2012   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8shot1 View Post
HA, ditto. We have some chesnok red growing from last year almost knee high already.

I take an empty backpack with me and try to get there before the published opening time on the first day. I can usually fill the pack completely in less than an hour and be headed back to the car. As you know, if the weather is good there can be 15-20k people show up each day.

hear that tom, we better plan on being there 1st thing in the morning saturday!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old May 18, 2012   #10
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

The garlic sellers bring cases of garlic with them each day and are always opening new cases as they sell. I have gone on both days over the years and never encountered a sell out or only small bulbs left. That said, I certainly don't mind going early on day one. The music, shows, lectures, and food make staying a few hours worth while.

Gates open at 10 AM on Saturday, September 29th for those that would like to go. It's a fun day!

TomNJ
Old May 20, 2012   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

well that's good to hear. i'd hate to go and find i got there at 10 and missed out on things i'd want.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old May 21, 2012   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

There is also a garlic and herb festival in Bennington VT at the beginning of September. Not as many garlic growers as the Saugerties festival, but you can get an early start on your shopping before farmers start running out of seed stock. Most of mine came from Alpha Garlic Farm which sells on-line as well as the festivals in the area.

When I bought my seed stock at the VT festival, I also picked up a pamphlet on growing garlic. It said to soak the separated cloves for two hours in a bucket of water with two heaping tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in it, and then soak for a few minutes in rubbing alcohol before planting them. I've been doing it this way for three years now, and have not had any problems with disease, rot, etc.

If you don't live close enough to attend a garlic festival, I suggest choosing a couple of on-line vendors and keeping a close watch for when they start selling seed stock. If you wait to long, they'll sell out.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #13
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i ordered from fedco last yr and paid an astronomical jhighway robbery price for so so quality garlic heads last year im defenitely going to ck out the festivals this year
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've always been busy when they have it, but I've heard good reports about the one in Little Falls NY
http://www.littlefallsny.com/Feature...icFestival.htm
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2012   #15
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

ty swamprt for reccomendation of ireland farms i called them this morning and spoke to mary ann.. she said i called at a great time as they were just on thier way out the door to the garlic festival in saugerties.. i ordered 7 varieties from her that she will send out tuesday...music, korean red,northern white. sicily gold.russian red.ukranian red and asian trumpet
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote