Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 16, 2017   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it time to harden off in NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Same here. Maybe the weekend before, but for now planning on Memorial Day weekend. They will hopefully be going outside to harden by the 15th.

They actually did go out to harden yesterday, May 15th, just as planned. If I had put them out any earlier, they would have had to come back in. They're just too big to easily move them around, so I'm glad they can stay put until plant out, which will be this weekend if the forecast holds.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #17
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Got 6 out of 18 into the ground. Most of my leaves are curled on the ones I haven't planted out - they don't seem to like the 90's in small pots for some reason .
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #18
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

it was in the 80's for 4 days now the temps are back to normal.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #19
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

The weather was rough since the beginning of the week, but today I was able to get most everything in the ground. A bit more to go, but 60 and overcast sure is more agreeable to new plants than 90 and scorching.
ako1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #20
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I thought I was doing good but a lot of the plants are showing signs of sunburn.
Some I brought back into the house,others I put under glass to block the harmful uv rays.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #21
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

My tomato seedlings got through the week okay, with 2 exceptions: the lone Roughwood Golden Tiger (top tray, top left) & a Brandy Boy (top tray, top right).

The garden isn't ready, however. So, I'll put them in bigger pots on Monday (weather permitting), to buy an extra 7-11 days.

Btw, in case you are wondering why bars of soap are next to the trays... They're a deer deterrent.

Last edited by nyrfan; May 21, 2017 at 10:18 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #22
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Re-post of deleted photo (taken on 5/19).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011749.jpg (622.6 KB, 101 views)
Old May 25, 2017   #23
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

My neighbors poke holes through Irish spring and thread twin through them then dangle them around plants they want to repel deer from. Works well and I should do it because my backyard to front yard is literally a deer path
Old May 29, 2017   #24
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I melt holes into 1/4-bar pieces of Irish Spring, attached strings & hang them atop our chain link fence, 1 meter apart.

My plants have grown a lot in the last 10 days (see pic below). Hope to get them in the ground next Monday. Will have to give-away about half of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seedlings 5-29-2017.jpg (701.1 KB, 77 views)
Old May 30, 2017   #25
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Do deer eat tomato? I feel like I offered them a buffet from a topsy turvy last year that they spent a lot of time in the vicinity of, but not once took a bite from.

Well, 16 in the ground, 4 in planters, a bunch given away. 2 pepper in the ground, 2 yet to be planted, 1 in its final container. For the most part, everybody looks happy & healthy.
Old May 30, 2017   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
Do deer eat tomato? I feel like I offered them a buffet from a topsy turvy last year that they spent a lot of time in the vicinity of, but not once took a bite from.

Well, 16 in the ground, 4 in planters, a bunch given away. 2 pepper in the ground, 2 yet to be planted, 1 in its final container. For the most part, everybody looks happy & healthy.
It only takes one in a herd to wipe out the whole garden.
If they get a taste they will eat everything including pepper plants.

So the soap works?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #27
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

My general thinking is that deer will try everything once. And have, in my garden. Even the so-called deer resistant plants - Mexican sunflower is too prickly for them! - I don't find to be deer-resistant.
Old May 30, 2017   #28
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

The soap worked last year & is doing so again this year.
Old July 14, 2017   #29
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Welp, I can confirm that deer eat tomato. Welded wire fencing is keeping them at bay, but any branches or stems that stick through the mesh get chomped. They don't seem to be too adept at biting all the way through, so they bite and rip which yanks the whole plant to an extent.

As a side note, my Fox Cherry is 8ft tall now. Growth started slow but picked up significantly in this heat. I haven't been pulling suckers either. My posts are 8ft and I'm running out of ideas to support the gosh darnoodley thing.
Old July 25, 2017   #30
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

I have deer, but apparently no tomato-eating ones. People report having seen deer standing in my yard garden at night, lol. But I have farm fields and woods galore surrounding me. My neighbor across the road plants a conventional garden in the ground, and he says deer don't bother his tomatoes, either.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote