Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2013   #31
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi (Pepper-like from Cuba) is the right name for this tomato. It is called Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi Chornyi and Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz sometimes as well.
It has been known in Soviet times and said to have got a real Cuban origin since USSR and Cuba used to have very close relationships and many Soviet military-men served at Cuban Navy bases till mid 1990s with their families and brought different local seeds with them (including my wife's parents family).

And yes, we've got 3 commercial tomato varieties under the name Rozovyi Flamingo from 2 Russian and 1 Ukrainian seed companies with different shapes. All three are different varieties but with the same lovely name

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; January 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2013   #32
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I received around 16 seeds of Black Pepper in Heather's seed swap, which are labelled Baker Creek 2012.
I have a lot of new varieties to try and unless I can build a hoophouse or two, not enough space to grow them all in one year. So I'm not sure if I'll be growing this one in 2013, unless I gamble on a couple of plants outdoors.
I would be happy to send a half dozen seeds to Marina, for a side-by-side comparison with the 'Snickers' 'Cuban' 'Icicle' or similar 'Black Pepper' like tomatoes if you want to do it.
I would like to hear from anyone who has grown it, whether the Baker Creek 'Black Pepper' was early or late, tolerant of/resistant to cold or heat or disease, productive, tasty.
Marina was kind enough to send me Snickers in trade for Rutgers. I am trying for a side by side myself. I haven't gotten my Black Pepper in the mail from WillysWoodPile yet though. Starting to worry. It's been a week. But I guess the holiday mail is slow.

Cuban and icicle I don't have and have no idea where to find.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2013   #33
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Marina was kind enough to send me Snickers in trade for Rutgers. I am trying for a side by side myself. I haven't gotten my Black Pepper in the mail from WillysWoodPile yet though. Starting to worry. It's been a week. But I guess the holiday mail is slow.

Cuban and icicle I don't have and have no idea where to find.
Sorry Scott, It must have slipped my mind. I will get them out tomorrow.
Old January 4, 2013   #34
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
Sorry Scott, It must have slipped my mind. I will get them out tomorrow.
No worries. These things happen. In fact I was slow to get Marina's 3 sources of Rutger's in the mail myself, although I finally did. First I had to wait till I got a couple different varieties of new seed, since what I had was getting old and had low germination. Then the first try to mail them I spilled coffee all over the envelope in the car on the way to the post office!

So I had to come back home and dry out the envelope and then didn't get a chance to get to the post office again for almost 2 weeks due to the holidays and a few more personal issues!

She is probably thinking I stiffed her!

But I didn't. These things happen. So I understand. Long as I have them before I start my seedlings.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; January 4, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old January 5, 2013   #35
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, I have seen that picture before, and the one I have as "Snickers" is much smaller, but who knows, maybe it's just my growing conditions that effect the fruit size.

And yes, there are Rozoviy Flamingo plums, and there's a heart one from Popenko, which I recently got. There's another RF and it's pepper-shaped and striped. The Ukrainian RF is a fat paste/heart one.

bower, I'm in the same situation you're in but I'm willing to grow your Black Pepper, because the Russians have a "thing" for pepper-shaped tomatoes.

I also have 6 seeds of Kubinskiy Pertsevidniy and I got a hold of Pertsevidniy Cherniy from Denis Terentiev's collection.

http://happygarden.com.ua/published/...iy_cherniy.jpg

Scott, do you have room to grow them all out and compare? If so, I will send you some seeds.

P.S. Black Icicle is a totally different variety, it's a smooth elongated plum.

Last edited by MarinaRussian; January 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #36
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post
Andrey, I have seen that picture before, and the one I have as "Snickers" is much smaller, but who knows, maybe it's just my growing conditions that effect the fruit size.

And yes, there are Rozoviy Flamingo plums, and there's a heart one from Popenko, which I recently got. There's another RF and it's pepper-shaped and striped. The Ukrainian RF is a fat paste/heart one.

bower, I'm in the same situation you're in but I'm willing to grow your Black Pepper, because the Russians have a "thing" for pepper-shaped tomatoes.

I also have 6 seeds of Kubinskiy Pertsevidniy and I got a hold of Pertsevidniy Cherniy from Denis Terentiev's collection.

http://happygarden.com.ua/published/...iy_cherniy.jpg

Scott, do you have room to grow them all out and compare? If so, I will send you some seeds.
I have room. Did you wan't them compared? I most certainly can and it would be cool to settle it once and for all, but its up to you.

What would you like in trade?

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old January 5, 2013   #37
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

That's great, Scott. We all want to know if they're the same variety or not. I will send them to you by next week.

What I want for trade? Hmmm, I think I'm packed for this season........ unless you have Purple Passion ( always seems like I need just one more, it's a disease )
Old January 5, 2013   #38
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Well I don't have purple passion, so if you are set with tomatoes maybe some peppers? Or tomatillo? or even broccoli, lettuce, beets? Something like that?

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old January 5, 2013   #39
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes, I love peppers, too. That would be awesome. Thank you!
Old January 5, 2013   #40
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh yes, I love peppers, too. That would be awesome. Thank you!
Sweet? Mild? Hot? Super hot? 1 of each? I have over 20 types. Some only a few seeds...but others I have plenty.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old January 5, 2013   #41
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Sweet? Mild? Hot? Super hot? 1 of each? I have over 20 types. Some only a few seeds...but others I have plenty.
I grow mostly sweet peppers, but it's up to you. Surprise me. Do you still have my address?
Old January 5, 2013   #42
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I grow mostly sweet peppers, but it's up to you. Surprise me. Do you still have my address?
Yes, I will PM you with some choices, so we don't end up spamming this thread.

Ahem we may have already!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old January 5, 2013   #43
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Sorry guys, we're leaving now........

Last edited by MarinaRussian; January 5, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old January 5, 2013   #44
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Sorry guys, we're leaving now........
Eh, don't leave, one more! PM me your address Marina, and I'll send you the Baker Creek 'black pepper' seeds.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #45
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz
YES, THAT IS IT! That is the name on the seed package from H. And they look just like that! I haven't been in contact with him, so can't say anything more about the variety though...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote