Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 20, 2017   #16
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Would increased frost tolerance in a tomato be the goal Joseph?
Not too appetizing?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017   #17
joseph
Tomatovillian™

The fruits of S. corneliomulleri are not at all appealing to my taste. Not even when fully ripe. So far, it's been a struggle just to get them to produce fruit/seeds. It seems like that issue is resolved now, so I can start exploring what they might be good for. There is plenty of seed to trail for frost tolerance next spring.

I love the hyper-exerted stigmas in the species, but expect them to be incompatible with domestic tomatoes. So perhaps I can explore crossing them with something that is more compatible with domestic tomatoes.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019   #18
joseph
Tomatovillian™

During the 2018 growing season, I combined all Solanum peruvianum-like plants into a single population, which I am calling Solanum peruvianum complex. I did this, because when I tried to key out plants of each accession, they got classified into a number of different species. Therefore, I'm not going to be maintaining or writing about S corneliomulleri any more, even though the genetics are still in my garden.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
During the 2018 growing season, I combined all Solanum peruvianum-like plants into a single population, which I am calling Solanum peruvianum complex. I did this, because when I tried to key out plants of each accession, they got classified into a number of different species. Therefore, I'm not going to be maintaining or writing about S corneliomulleri any more, even though the genetics are still in my garden.

That's fine with me. And my spelling and pronunciation skills are relieved.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote