Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 4, 2016   #1
Langley Ranch
Tomatovillian™

Default Ragweed

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. I couldn't quite figure out where it should go.

Ragweed is everywhere I plant. I always just pull it up where ever it is causing the most trouble, but it is impossible to get all those brittle, wandering roots, and it just re-sprouts from the tiniest piece. It does pull up with more of the roots when it is damp, which is great. I am pretty resigned just to keep pulling it as it comes up but I was wondering if someone has another method that I am missing out on. Thanks for any input.

erin
Save
Langley Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Don't let it go to seed by all means or chop it down right as it blooms.
That is if you are talking about those giant tall woody weeds we have everywhere.
Some people call it blood weed AKA giant ragweed.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #3
Langley Ranch
Tomatovillian™

Giant ragweed, yes, that's it I think, Worth. They get really tough stems and will snap off at the base if you try to yank them out. If there's been some rain, you can get some of the root out. But they just re-sprout anywhere there is a little piece of root left. They get tall, up to my shoulders, some of them.
I do try to knock the nearby ones down when they start to bloom, but after a while it is an impossible task. Not to sound defeatist, but we just live in a sea of the stuff. I just concentrate where I have plantings and hope to wear them out by persistence.
Blood weed! I've never heard it called that. Wonder where that name came from.

I'll have to snap a pic of a thorny shrub we have here. My husband calls it velcro weed. Maybe you can tell me what it is. I like to know the names of everything but I have never been able to figure that one out.

Thanks,
erin
Langley Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote