Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old September 11, 2009   #16
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Seems I repressed the unfortunate Scarab decapitation - will try it again next year as I am so fond of the story behind the name & have a real fondness for the Timonium track from back in high school...
Old October 1, 2009   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I've got my "Chesapeake" seeds. Thanks, guys.

I was planning to grow "Sunray" anyway because of the wilt resistance but now I'm curious about the connection to the Mid Atlantic. It's from Ben Quisenberry's collection, yes?? What makes it a Mid Atlantic variety?
Old October 6, 2009   #18
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Information on Hanover County VA tomato see link

http://www.ediblechesapeake.com/maga...=166&Itemid=27

george
Old October 6, 2009   #19
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, geeboss. I am familiar with the Hanover tomato and Early Hanover melons and I believe there are some other fruits or veggies named after the Hanover country area. Pretty cool!
Old October 7, 2009   #20
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Michele, according to Victory Seeds, where I purchased the seeds for Sunray, It is a stabilized cross between 'Pan American' and 'Jubilee', developed by Dr. W. S. Porte at the Beltsville, Maryland Station and released in 1950. Thus the Mid-Atlantic connection.

I've also seen "Sunray" and "Golden Sunray" listed as Ben Quisenberry's, too. Wonder what the true story is?
Old October 7, 2009   #21
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I wonder too. Thanks, Cecilia.
Old October 7, 2009   #22
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Maybe it was lost to commerce, but Ben Q. had it in his collection.
Old December 12, 2009   #23
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cecilia and Stormy. I'm betting these Chesapeake seeds from Chuck Wyatt's site are getting pretty old at this point. Did you have any trouble getting them to germinate or have to do anything special for them? I'd like to grow at least four of these plants, if possible. Thanks.
Old December 15, 2009   #24
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Michele, I didn't have any trouble germinating my Chesapeake seed. I don't know whether Donna is still propagating any of Chuck's tomatoes or whether they're all older stock. The packet was dated 2009.
Old December 15, 2009   #25
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

That's good to hear Cecilia. Thanks!
Old January 18, 2010   #26
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Chesapeake was one of my favs from the grow bags this past year. They were big kind of rough looking red-orange tomatoes that had the best tang/sweet taste - Even in the growbags, they produced well & what I didn't eat fresh went into the sauce pot - the more the better as I could appreciate what they did for the batches they were in. Chesapeake has been invited back to our sticky hot & humid garden - this year in the raised beds. Vigorous plants, no germination or disease problems here.
Old January 19, 2010   #27
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I am looking forward to Chesapeake, Stormy. As I said before, I am a U of Md grad where this tomato was developed and I now live by the Chesapeake Bay, so it seems so appropriate that I try this one! I will sow seed around March 1 and hopefully they'll germinate well and I can try some this summer. I hope they can stand up to my Fusarium problems here and I can get a decent season.
Old January 19, 2010   #28
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

FTR - I am a real fan of Del-Mar too. This is a real nice tomato I'm going again b/c it was in a growbag & got overshadowed by some monster blacks in raised beds. The tomatoes were smaller than Chesapeake - which could have been positioning but had no disease even though Black Krim got some sort of black fungus from the bottom up & Lucky Cross got some sort of canker where I pruned the bottom leaves (not so lucky for me LOL). Had a nice balanced flavor - I like a tomato that isn't sour but tangy & sweet at the same time.
Greater Baltimore was another totally acceptable red-orange I'll do again.
Sunray was as good as my Earl of Edgecombs - I loved the flavor, color, shape of the innards, everything. Into a raised bed this year.
My Scarab I kept (shouldn't have shared so many ) got decapitated - it was awful. So with fond teenage memories of the Timonium racetrack, I'll grow again.
DH (the devout Jersey tomato fan) had to acknowledge the goodness of these varities - & that's saying something!