Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 20, 2017   #106
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

What's a "Baker" ?
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #107
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Lol...darn it! The more tomatoes y'all introduce me to the more I want to try! Definitely some unique names on this list....Bacon, Lettuce, and this F5, Blood Gulch, Couer de Surpriz, etc...
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #108
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

A baker is somebody who bakes bread, buns, muffins, cakes etc. In the old days, when they would bake a dozen of something, they would make an extra one in case of accident, so the number 13 became known as a "baker's dozen"

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #109
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
This time every year, yada yada, "lets just grow our favorite
baker's dozen next year". That should simplify labeling and
seed starting....until the new year rolls around and I sneak a
few more....a few more 4-5 bakers.
Funny how that work's, right?
LOL yeah.. with my limited space, I originally told myself "okay, only 3 or 4 varieties this year, but maybe 1 or 2 plants of each. Don't overdo it"

.. cut to lastnight, with me prepping seed for 10 varieties, and then once I realized I had 3 cells unused, grabbing an 11th.. Now my seed is pretty old, on average, but I'm pretty sure with the numbers I sowed, I'll have at least 2 or 3 plants come up per variety, on average. Somehow, I went from 5-7 plants to potentially 20-30. I think I'll be giving away a bunch of plants.. or at least I hope I will.

With over 300 varieties in my stash to choose from, it almost becomes paralyzing trying to figure out what to put in my very small list each season.

Last edited by sirtanon; October 20, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #110
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
LOL yeah.. with my limited space, I originally told myself "okay, only 3 or 4 varieties this year, but maybe 1 or 2 plants of each. Don't overdo it"

.. cut to lastnight, with me prepping seed for 10 varieties, and then once I realized I had 3 cells unused, grabbing an 11th.. Now my seed is pretty old, on average, but I'm pretty sure with the numbers I sowed, I'll have at least 2 or 3 plants come up per variety, on average. Somehow, I went from 5-7 plants to potentially 20-30. I think I'll be giving away a bunch of plants.. or at least I hope I will.

With over 300 varieties in my stash to choose from, it almost becomes paralyzing trying to figure out what to put in my very small list each season.
Only 300? Amateur!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #111
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Only 300? Amateur!
LOL yeah.. I know.. there's so many more out there.. but at some point, I had to tell myself that getting more and more would eventually become pointless, as I only have so much space to grow in, and can thus only grow so many of the varieties each year.. as it stands, my average seed age is somewhere around 10 years old..

Now, my wife and I are really hoping to be able to move at some point in the next 5 years or so, to a much larger plot of land in an area with a better growing climate. If/when this happens, I'm hoping to be able to grow more like 50 or more plants per year, instead of 7 or 8. If this works out, It would still take me 6 years to work through all the varieties I have. Granted, I'd most likely end up finding varieties I was no longer interested in growing, and just give those seeds away.. but I'd most likely still end up with over 200, and of course, probably collect even more varieties in the meantime.

In a perfect world, I would be able to grow out each and every variety every year..
Old October 21, 2017   #112
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

see, i thought that a "baker" was what i do with them(like 400+#'s so far) see attached pic i bake 'em then eat 1/2 juice 1/2 and after 3 days what is left in fridge freeze repeat!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooked Toms.jpg (422.1 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 1rst Batch Cooked 2017.jpg (372.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg BAKERS 6.jpg (367.5 KB, 246 views)
Old October 21, 2017   #113
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wow Pete!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #114
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thank You Marsha, most are due to your seeds! Probably have cooked 400#'s or more so far this year. The mix of all the varieties makes for superb flavor!!
Old October 25, 2017   #115
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

How's the 2017-18 season starting out for you Marsha?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017   #116
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, are there any pictures?
What is Not Chocolate Stripes looks like?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017   #117
MdTNGrdner

Hi Ella, I hope this link works but if not, just go to the Photo Gallery section and look for "Marsha's 2017/18 Photo Thread". There's a lot of great stuff there!

I can't wait to read her taste and production notes!

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46022