Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2016   #46
oakley
Tomatovillian™

52 days from seed starting, in the first group potted up, (2 weeks ago), i'm seeing multiflora clusters
just past the 8th leaf, between the final 9 and 10 small leaves. Consistent with all of them so far. Pic of two easily viewed with cell phone. Will know more in a week i'm guessing...
Attached Images
File Type: png 52 days multiflora set.png (418.8 KB, 172 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #47
oakley
Tomatovillian™

-Time to get out the big guns...(cameras)
Old December 29, 2016   #48
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Looks promising.
Hey, almost January - time to start sorting out the seed collection for real, only three months until April!!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #49
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Looks promising.
Hey, almost January - time to start sorting out the seed collection for real, only three months until April!!
I'm months away from that myself...this is about indoor winter growing. I'm deep in snow and growing micro plants. A winter project.
Old December 29, 2016   #50
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Looking good! Great to be growing something in the winter isn't it?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #51
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I'm months away from that myself...this is about indoor winter growing. I'm deep in snow and growing micro plants. A winter project.

I do get it. For me, there is not enough light (natural or artificial) for indoor growing: I have to wait until springtime for the natural sunshine.
Old December 29, 2016   #52
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I do get it. For me, there is not enough light (natural or artificial) for indoor growing: I have to wait until springtime for the natural sunshine.
Just a choice to use my simple grow lights that sit stagnant in the winter and the room i usually start seed in Feb-March...growing micros this winter. Where years nothing grew waiting for the next season. I have a nice project going....micro greens, 3rd year on micro sunflowers, 5th year on a white chive project. Many thing can be grown in the winter...getting another foot of snow tomorrow...using that planting area to test possible plants for winter food. We are eating daily salads fresh cuttings. Not a bag from a grocery.
Old December 30, 2016   #53
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have grown plenty of microgreens indoors... cress, sunflowers, radishes. They thrive in normal indoors light.
Some years ago I started my tomatoes early, back then I had some powerful lights I could use. That lamp no longer works, so no more super early starts for me But the sunlight gets pretty bright and intense in February, so I'll sow my micro dwarfs then.
Old January 4, 2017   #54
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Chose three to grow out. These 3 first up.
Have you noticed variability in the germination time? I noticed between 5 and 28! Days for seeds sown the same day in the same pot. I kept the last puppy dogs tail to germinate and it has just got its first leaves. i will grow it out to to see if it is different in other ways as well.
Seed labelled 11X-F4-6-1 determinate purple cherry.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6695.JPG (121.4 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by KarenO; January 4, 2017 at 02:08 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #55
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Here is the slowpoke. Planted the same day. Same pot December 2. Cool room no bottom heat same as the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6697.JPG (104.5 KB, 135 views)
Old January 4, 2017   #56
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Good looking little plants Karen! Great to have something growing in the winter isn't it?

I grew out 5 11xF3 last summer, all were red. I see you've got 11xF4 that is purple, very neat! Did you grow out 11xF3 and get a purple or did you get purple F4 from someone else? I'm debating how many to grow this year of the remaining F3 seed vs. F4 seed from my best red plant I saved seed from.

Justin
Old January 4, 2017   #57
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This thread is making me jealous. I am going to go sow some Aztek. I'm thinking at my market in April, I could get a premium price for nearly-mature plants in 2 gallon pots, $15 or so. At that time of year, the farm store across the street charges $19 for a Big Boy in a 2-gallon pot that is barely blooming...and has been treated with a growth regulator.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #58
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Good looking little plants Karen! Great to have something growing in the winter isn't it?

I grew out 5 11xF3 last summer, all were red. I see you've got 11xF4 that is purple, very neat! Did you grow out 11xF3 and get a purple or did you get purple F4 from someone else? I'm debating how many to grow this year of the remaining F3 seed vs. F4 seed from my best red plant I saved seed from.

Justin
Dan sent me the F4 seed.
KO
Old January 4, 2017   #59
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post

Justin
worth growing in winter for the smell of the leaves alone. pretty little guys. Dan says this one had really good flavor. looking forward to seeing some blooms pretty soon I think now that they are each in their pot as of yesterday and under some proper light
KarenO
Old January 4, 2017   #60
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Dan sent me the F4 seed.
KO
Good to know, so I assume he grew 11xF3 and found the purple.

Red is a tough color, of my 5 plants who knows, I could have had some heterozygous for red and homozygous for red. I'll definitely try some more F3 seed this year and maybe grow a couple of my 11xF4 seed as it was a very tasty red cherry tomato.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 4, 2017 at 03:18 PM.