Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 28, 2013   #31
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Zebra Cherry

I love this one! I grew it last year for the first time, and this year it's just as great as I remember. The plant grows so thickly it's hard to see the tomatoes, but there are a huge number of them hiding inside this huge plant!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreenZebraCherry.jpg (203.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg GreenZebraCherry2.jpg (174.0 KB, 25 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #32
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Hahms Gelbe Topftomate

Amazing little plant! I plan to grow several of these throughout the coming winter. The taste was pretty good, not very sweet but very fresh and tomatoey. I was surprised by the yield... there is a lot of tomatoes on a tiny, tiny plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HahmsGelbeToftmate.jpg (216.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg HahmsGelbeToftmatePot.jpg (376.6 KB, 32 views)
Old July 28, 2013   #33
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Maya & Sion's Airdrie Classic

I love this tomato! I've been growing it for two years now. It's reliably early and very tasty! I picked my first one on July 23. It's large enough to slice, but not huge. It's a stable cross of Brandywine and Stupice. Tatiana has the whole story on her website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maya&Sion.jpg (229.5 KB, 27 views)
Old July 29, 2013   #34
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics!

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #35
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

RobinB, how about some update and pictures.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #36
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Danko

I'm back... DH was gone for four days and just got back last night. I was at home with our 8YO son, and two cats that all kept asking when daddy was getting home. Sigh.

Ella, Thanks for asking for more photos, I appreciate it and it helps me be better organized and to document everything for later.

Danko: I got one back on July 23, and just picked eight more fruit at one time from this one and it is blooming again! For me, it was 60 days. The photo here is that first fruit which was on the small side. The others just went into a batch of salsa and I didn't photograph one of the larger ones. This batch of 8 ranged from 8 to 11 oz and were solid without any core to speak of. Mild and sweet with no acid. It's not a large plant, either. I'm on the fence about this one, but will probably grow it again because the fruit are so large and it produces so early.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danko.jpg (218.1 KB, 23 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #37
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Paul Robeson Mystery Mater

I got this when I planted some Paul Robeson seeds last year. It turns out that the vendor is not very reliable and is not very well thought of here in Tomatoville. This tomato is definitely a keeper though. It's intensely flavored, smoky, sweet and wonderful. I don't know what it is, but I saved seeds last year, and they look mostly the same this year, perhaps a little larger. I thought it might be Brazilian Beauty, and it might be, but I haven't gotten one ripe of each to compare side by side. Hopefully soon. My mystery is a bit more red than BB, which is more brown though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaulRMysteryMater.jpg (260.2 KB, 27 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #38
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Submarine Blush

Oh my! These are like candy! They don't quite look like the photos on the J&L Gardens website, mine are mostly an all over apricot color with a little bit of yellow mottling. The plant isn't very large, but it's got quite a number of fruit on it. I'll grow this one again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SubmarineBlush.jpg (240.5 KB, 27 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #39
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Pervaya Lyubov

Well, ah, I hoped I would like this one, but, in this garden, in this year, it was very mild and nothing very special. I've got one other plant that hasn't produced anything ripe. Maybe that one will taste better? Fruit so far have been a really pretty shade of pink and rather large 8-12 oz or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PervayaLyubov3.jpg (231.4 KB, 18 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #40
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye

These are one of my favorites, but I may have to rethink growing it. They don't do well in heat. They suffered terribly in my garden this year (and last year) and just kept dropping blossoms for several weeks. The plant managed to ripen one large cluster, and there are about a dozen more, all rather small at the moment. Mine are never really pink though, more reddish. Seeds were purchased from Wild Boar, so that can't be the problem...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PinkBTD1.jpg (221.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg PinkBTD2.jpg (245.5 KB, 23 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #41
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Russian

These are SO tasty! All the things I like about black tomatoes, this one has. There is just one problem. The plant is so crazy and viney and hard to contain, I'm not sure I'm going to grow it again. It's currently over 8' tall and I had to top it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Purple Russian.jpg (229.6 KB, 26 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #42
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Sleeping Lady

These are very tasty and the plant is very prolific! I will definitely grow this one again! It was also VERY early for me this year. Only 50 days, can that be right? The plant was way overgrown in its cup before planting in the garden though....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SleepingLady.jpg (239.9 KB, 28 views)
Old August 5, 2013   #43
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Zebra Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
I love this one! I grew it last year for the first time, and this year it's just as great as I remember. The plant grows so thickly it's hard to see the tomatoes, but there are a huge number of them hiding inside this huge plant!
I like them too. Very complex flavor.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; August 5, 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Title
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #44
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Oh my! These are like candy! They don't quite look like the photos on the J&L Gardens website, mine are mostly an all over apricot color with a little bit of yellow mottling. The plant isn't very large, but it's got quite a number of fruit on it. I'll grow this one again!
Hope a seed offer is in this ones future Robin.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #45
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

RobinB, Sleeping Lady is nice looking tomato (a dwarf plant). Do you grow it in ground or a container?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote