Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 13, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Ten Tomatoes A? +Some

I know for many of us, it's becoming the non growing season

I have not been very active here at Tomatoville here lately A lot of changes are happening in mine and wife's life here lately. I've only checked in once or twice a day here because I've been busy. I most likely have missed replies that I would otherwise reply to. - That's the +Some part.

I have to change the way I grow tomatoes due to RKN and Fusarium Wilt 3 as many of you know. That means making some containers to grow tomatoes in, and buying some mix. I'm thinking I can grow 10 tomato plants in the containers I make - why make them myself? I have the materials and they will insulate much better than store bought containers. Besides, they'll look really good too. I guess that was more of the +Some part.

Now to the Ten Tomatoes part: Five of them have to be cherry tomatoes, and 5 more varieties have to be larger than 1 oz. (I know cherry tomatoes go up to around 2oz.) The plant has to be prolific producing and can grow in Texas (No Brandywines). I wondering how you would fill out this list?

Cherry Tomatoes

1. Japanese Pink Cherry

2oz.+ Tomatoes

1. Gargamel
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #2
charline
Tomatovillian™

Pink Princess, Sunrise bumblebee, Zluta Kytice, Sweet Sharon for a cherry

Little Lucky, Dino Eggs, Citron de Vernier, Reinhards purple heart, Zielone, my own Perfect Heart.

All those produced well in heat
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

For the larger tomatoes - Atkinson, Big Beef, Girl Girl's Weird Thing & 4th of July.
For the cherries - Rose Quartz Multiflora, Maglia Rosa, SunGold, Haley's Purple Comet.

All have been great producers here in Cypress TX.

MikeInCypress
Old October 13, 2017   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Out of 10 varieties, I would say at least 3 should be GWR.
No container garden is complete without PBTD or at least Indian Stripe.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Cherries: Indigo Cherry Drops, Lucky Tiger, Maglia Rosa, Ambrosia Pink, Sunrise Bumble Bee

Big: Rebel Yell, GGWT, Red Beauty, Orange Jazz, Big Beef

My experience with Gargamel was that is was not prolific, although it was incredible looking.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hold on... KARMA Pink is likely to come for all in January. A 3/4 oz pink cherry with so much production and unbelievable great flavor, and it's PL.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Cherries

Maglia Rose (does well in 3 gallon container)
Blush (does well in something a bit larger, not too tall)
Sungold
Sweet Aperitif
Rosella

For larger tomatoes

Little Lucky
Indian Stripe
Bulgarian Triumph (compact and productive)
Pruden's Purple

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; October 13, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have to agree with Maglia Rosa for sure. Rev Michael Keyes was unbelievably prolific and not one cracked. Flavor was great, all tomato, not so much sweet. It does need extra staking do to the very heavy fruit load. Then I would suggest Matt's Hornet, which also tastes great, and is the red long cherry with gold stripes. Sungold.

With containers, I would go with dwarf varieties to keep things manageable without losing production. I went through my pile of dwarfs I have grown and selected for taste + production and a variety of colors. My #1 for earliness and continued production, as well as flavor, is Tasmanian Chocolate. No 2 spot goes to Dwarf Scarlet Heart, a flavorful pink heart that just loads up. Now the going gets tougher to narrow down. Wherokowhai is a yellow with red bicolor that is very sweet and productive. For a red one, New Big Dwarf. For an orange variety, I really like Coastal Pride Orange. Neither of the last two are from the Dwarf Project. I have grown big indeterminates in containers, but why struggle when you have such good choice via the recent development of so many wonderful dwarfs. I do not have the same growing conditions as you, certainly, but think these would serve you well.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Ruby's German Green you wont be sorry.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Aunt Ruby's German Green you wont be sorry.
Worth
Agreed!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, Robert, I need your address. This year I am releasing a cherry tomato that will honor my mother. Mammaw's Treat is joining Pappy's Dream. It is a plum shaped cherry and I think it is the tastiest little red cherry I've grown. I've been working on it for eight years and it is ready.

I will also say that Zluta Kytice was a production machine.

For larger varieties,

Irish Pink, Not Purple Strawberry, and Cherokee Tiger overwhelmed me with both taste and production.

Don't forget the dwarfs. So many out there and more coming. Dwarf Sweet Sue and Summer Sunrise are both beautiful and have outstanding taste.

So, PM your address and let me know if you want any of those I mentioned.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It feels good to write about growing tomatoes again, and even better to be enthusiastic about it. I'm looking forward to building the containers and cages. 10 containers is a rough guess gauging by the materials we have on-hand.

I also have some FFF, N seed varieties that I want to try growing in the ground soil - mostly just out of curiosity, and not me being stubborn

I want to share this picture to show what RKN and Fusarium Wilt race 3 does to a tomato plant. It is attempting to grow right outside my front door. It is a Big Beef F1 VFFNTA. You'll notice that I didn't build a taller support system, because once the plant was tall enough - there was no reason for a support...the plant was already infected. It is the one of four plants that survived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0083.JPG (114.7 KB, 209 views)
Old October 13, 2017   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I did send a PM to Ted, and thank you everyone for your replies.
Old October 13, 2017   #14
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

My best tasting cherry/grape tomato this year was Brad's Atomic Grape. Great tomato only thing I'm not fond of is its wispy leaves. Second place was Pink Bumble Bee.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I would second ISPL and ARGG. Those will be 2 out of about 12 varieties that I intend to grow next season.
On the cherry size, I like Esterina over Sungold. But be aware Esterina will come to an end by late August ( in the heat of south )
while Sungold will continue pumping non-stop. I just pulled mine a week ago with lots of tomatoes and flowers. But I prefer the size and taste of Esterina. I will grow its F3.

Stupice : A cocktail size that will continue producing , shrugging its shoulders on the heat of south.
Ok. There goes my own 4 out of 12 for 2018.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote