Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2020   #1
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Taster

I know this has been done to ??, before but one Tomato for taste only which would it be for you??
Mine to date would still have to be the Brandywine variety . In a Greek salad with ample Olive Oil and a wee bit of Vinigar this Tomato has always left a lingering taste behind making one plumb in the midbody from continuousely dipping their bread so no juices are left to be thrown out lol..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2020   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

You were always a glutton for punishment Volvo. The best tasting tomato is variable for me with several that routinely score at the top. Druzba, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, KBX, and Aunt Ruby's German Green usually rank very close to Brandywine for superb flavor.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2020   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

And to show how "you ask 100 tomato growers and you will get 100 different lists" due to differences in how we each taste, our preferences, our conditions, none of Darrel's four even make my top 50 list. For me, Lillian's Yellow, Brandywine, Lucky Cross, Cherokee (purple or chocolate or green), Dester, Sungold, Polish and Dwarf Sweet Sue are among my top 10 (which varies slightly over time)??? Whoops...forgot Green Giant! forgot Ferris Wheel! such a hard game to play...
Old June 26, 2020   #4
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Well thereya go , just wrote a halfe a dozen lines and whatever it was i clicked on everything dissapeared to dataheaven !!??..
Was saying how My Dad May he rest in peace , had 13 Acres in Tahmoor N.S.W. that could and did grow anything , beutifull soil.
He also had dirt under his fingernail and loved Gardening but his main love was his Birds (Winged Birds mindyou ) and shyteloads of them.
Remember one year he grew a variety called Deliciouse , dont know if they were the same Deliciouse as you see on seed outlets nowadays but these were all about the same size , firmand not so bad tasters if i remember rightly.
But my thoughts for this wee bit of a post was if i had some land akin to his i could be trying all these varieties lol.
But like Fish if you are a keen Fisherman , your Children say "What!! Fish again !!??" lol..
And Your Better Best
Old June 26, 2020   #5
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

As Craig said, everyone tastes a tomato differently and it's hard to settle on one variety that everyone likes. This of course works both ways, as if you have a bad tasting fruit, most will agree with you.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020   #6
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Midnight Sun was a standout for me in a very ordinary season last summer, Captain Lucky also good and one I call Bowerbird Yellow, a dwarf selection from a commercial yellow simply called Low Acid Yellow I always enjoy. Give me a few days and you never know what will turn up. Delicious is a possibility
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Green tomatoes are always in the top of the taste for everyone who tries them from me. One should try at least a few varieties, like Spear's Tennessee, Aunt Ruby, Green Giant.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020   #8
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Also for me it is very difficult to value the best tomato.
If it is a tomato only accompanied by olive oil and a little salt, it would be: "verde de las landas", "rosao de ayerbe", rosa melillero, mansilla de la mulas, gordo de patones , robledillo de la jara, tirvia, captain lucky, Taiga, brandywine suddut´h, stump of the world, sun chocola.
If they are to rub the bread together with a little oil:
ibiza blaca, little mallorquin, bombeta and establiment.
This year I am trying new tomatoes, I hope some of them can go up the list:si:

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020   #9
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Rebel Yell is my favorite tasting tomato. Although this year, German Red Strawberry and Zogola could give it a run for its money....
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020   #10
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Soooo Many to taste boggles the mind lol , another for me has always been Marriannas Peace ..
And Your Better Best
Old June 27, 2020   #11
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default GGWT is the sweetest

Girls Girls Weird Thing is the sweetest tasting tomato I have grown, this year it was also very productive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGWT.jpg (222.7 KB, 280 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Little Lucky, Maglia Rosa and Blush.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020   #13
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Fusion Power is right about KBX. Orange Minske ranks right behind it for taste, but it could also win the ugliest tomato contest because of it's tendency to catface in my garden.

Heat Master hybrid again proved I was correct to stop agonizing over open pollinated varieties and simply grow the most productive, disease resistant, great tasting tomato I can grow. I have been giving full Walmart bags of heatmaster tomatoes since early June to anyone who wants them. They then share them with their families and friends who then call me wanting more because they taste like old fashioned home grown tomatoes. Fair warning though, they are very acidic. If you like sweet tomatoes, you probably won't like Heatmaster.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020   #14
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

pervaya lyubov is pretty darn good.

two others that rank high in taste, but not production in my neck of the woods
are wes, and sylvan gaumme.

green doctors is a good green when ripe cherry tomato. need more seeds of that one.

there are others i like, but you will be inundated with replies peter.
have fun trying to decide which ones to grow next.

keith
Old June 28, 2020   #15
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Had i had lotsa room i could go on a rampage trying them all lol , but being a backyard Tomatomanic ,need to go one step at a time ...
Pervaya lyubov ??some names are tounge twisters fer sure , Interdeminate , suseptical to diseases ??, Beefstake , pain to grow or easy ??..
And Your Better Best