Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2016   #1
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Purple Heart

Hello, everyone!

I have questions about DTM, height, weight and COLOR of Dwarf Purple Heart? How is it similar or different from the original description in your micro climate? What was your experience? Pictures are welcome. I'm planning to grow in 5 gal containers and wonder if that would be enough for this variety to produce a good crop?

My first experience in 2015 was different that what I see at Tatiana's Database, mine weare much lighter color (more light reddish with a bit of pinkish, not purple, not dark red, no green shoulders), weighting about 3-4 oz. I wonder if I got a mismatch somehow.

Last edited by Allisa; February 9, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #2
natural
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo from my DPH plant. It was fairly productive. Average size was 10oz. Plant size was 4ft. I also grew in a 5gal bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpe dwarf purp heart.jpe (21.2 KB, 232 views)
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #3
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Here is a photo from my DPH plant. It was fairly productive. Average size was 10oz. Plant size was 4ft. I also grew in a 5gal bag.
Thank you very much! Amazing color! Very good size for not a big plant! Mine were very different colorwise (sadly, I didn't take a picture of the ripe fruits last year).

What was the taste of yours? Did you trim the plant? Could you tell, please, what soil did you use?
Old February 9, 2016   #4
natural
Tomatovillian™

Yes. They are a good size. The flavor was very good. A great balance of sweetness and acidity.

I grew that plant in a 5 gallon grow bag comprised of organic potting mix (Sungro, I think)with some ferts and rock powders. I also grew a plant in the soil and did not note any significant difference in flavor between them.

I did not trim the plant. I rarely trim dwarf plants. The only exceptions are for the shorter, denser varieties like Perth Pride. I may trim the inner foliage a bit to allow for air flow. I am in the very humid Southeast.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #5
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Yes. They are a good size. The flavor was very good. A great balance of sweetness and acidity.

I grew that plant in a 5 gallon grow bag comprised of organic potting mix (Sungro, I think)with some ferts and rock powders. I also grew a plant in the soil and did not note any significant difference in flavor between them.

I did not trim the plant. I rarely trim dwarf plants. The only exceptions are for the shorter, denser varieties like Perth Pride. I may trim the inner foliage a bit to allow for air flow. I am in the very humid Southeast.

Bill
Thank you! I hope I will have a right one this year.
Old February 10, 2016   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I grew Dwarf Purple Heart last year. The shape was pointy and not symmetrical.
let me see if I can dig out picture. OK here it is.
There are several of the on the left side. Those were the ones I picked unripe at the end of season (Oct 29). It was late coming to production but then it did ok in 5 gallon pot. Another thing : It was very tall indet habit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-28-15 pick.jpg (69.7 KB, 186 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #7
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I grew Dwarf Purple Heart last year. The shape was pointy and not symmetrical.
let me see if I can dig out picture. OK here it is.
There are several of the on the left side. Those were the ones I picked unripe at the end of season (Oct 29). It was late coming to production but then it did ok in 5 gallon pot. Another thing : It was very tall indet habit.
Thank you for letting me know that in our climate DPH is more of a late type. Maybe I should start seed more early to get it more early? I was hoping to get them by mid-end of July. Were they on the sweet side or on the acid side with our weathers? I love pointy hearts, they are unusually gorgeous!
Old June 29, 2020   #8
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I've been having a lot of problems with BER on early fruit of Dwarf Purple Heart. Anyone else experience this?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2020   #9
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it several, times, and I am growing it again this year, so that is saying something. I think of it as meaty like a paste, and I think of pastes as being prone to BER, especially early on, so perhaps there's a connection,. What I recall more is it being sort of empty, no gel, when grown in dry conditions, which I usually do (containers). There's a word for what I mean, but I'll have to look it up.

ETA puffiness.
https://hortnews.extension.iastate.e...puffy%20fruit.

Nevermimd. Probably unrelated.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 29, 2020 at 06:57 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2020   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Onset of BER is because of plant stress - allowing plants to visibly wilt when they have small green fruit coming along will bring it on - the stress interrupts proper calcium movement in the plants and fruit. Container or straw bale or raised bed gardening is where it happens most due to ability of the plants to dry out when it gets hot. Paste types tend to suffer the most - many are determinate varieties, and have heavy concentrated fruit set, so plant stress happens more easily. Dwarf Purple Heart is a heavy bloomer, and also on the tall and spreading side for our dwarfs.

Keeping it well watered - either using a drip system, or being really disciplined - will minimize or eliminate BER. I grow everything in containers or straw bales - hand water once, sometimes twice daily - unstressed plants mean I don't see any BER. And well watered plants do not produce tomatoes with diluted flavor....
Old June 29, 2020   #11
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
.... I grow everything in containers or straw bales - hand water once, sometimes twice daily - unstressed plants mean I don't see any BER. And well watered plants do not produce tomatoes with diluted flavor....
That's impressive! Of course, you are ALWAYS impressive! How many plants are you growing this year?

I have all of my dwarf plants in Earthboxes with their automatic watering system. Before that I'd have to fill the boxes twice a day to avoid them going dry. Here's a picture.

The Purple Heart is actually in a different sub irrigation planter. It seems more "stout" than the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200614-WA0021.jpg (198.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200517_121743_02.jpg (180.2 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 29, 2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old June 29, 2020   #12
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Onset of BER is because of plant stress - allowing plants to visibly wilt when they have small green fruit coming along will bring it on - the stress interrupts proper calcium movement in the plants and fruit. Container or straw bale or raised bed gardening is where it happens most due to ability of the plants to dry out when it gets hot. Paste types tend to suffer the most - many are determinate varieties, and have heavy concentrated fruit set, so plant stress happens more easily. Dwarf Purple Heart is a heavy bloomer, and also on the tall and spreading side for our dwarfs.

Keeping it well watered - either using a drip system, or being really disciplined - will minimize or eliminate BER. I grow everything in containers or straw bales - hand water once, sometimes twice daily - unstressed plants mean I don't see any BER. And well watered plants do not produce tomatoes with diluted flavor....
Thanks, Craig. I don't let my containers dry out and don't usually have BER issues with my container tomatoes, but I've been doing extra watering on that variety since I started having the issue. It does really load up on fruit, so I'm thinking it probably has higher water needs--not to mention that these rugose dwarfs have a lot of foliage for their size and probably high transpiration rates.

I also wonder whether it's a result of a brush with mild herbicide injury earlier in the season from a terrible neighbor. I know BER has a hormonal component, and modern herbicides work hormonally. The plant has outgrown the damage, but the early fruits might still have been affected. I'm watching the later fruits to see whether it continues.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2020   #13
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Latest count, I think I have 110 varieties growing this year - 24 of my favorite indeterminate types in straw bales, some grow bag indeterminate mysteries (volunteer cherries, a few Sungold F2), some new Dwarf family crosses, and a whole lot of dwarf tomato project works in progress, new releases I've yet to try, and a selection of my favorites. All in a new location - we moved from Raleigh 4 hours west to Hendersonville NC in January. Much more sun - lower summer temps. We'll see how it goes!

I am posting pics and info on Instagram - @nctomatoman - used to be on FB and Twitter but no more. I also go live on Instagram every Friday at 3 PM eastern for 45 min to answer questions and show folks around!
Old June 30, 2020   #14
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Following!

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 30, 2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old June 30, 2020   #15
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Well, you've already heard from the master but I wanted to add that the purple heart is one of my favorites! This is my 3 year growing it... I find it to be a later producing plant as earlier posted have said, that is fine in my climate since we get the hottest weather in Sept. Oct. The first year I grew it alone in one of my raised beds and was astonished by it's productivity and some of the early tomatoes were very large although most were on the small side but there was a lot and they were delicious. Last year I planted it too close to another tomato and it did not thrive so this year it is growing alone in a raised bed and I have high hopes. It does need support in my garden...
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote