Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2020   #16
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Is there more than one? A round and a pear? I see different pics on the internet. I *believe* I got my seeds from you. If not, then definitely a swap here on T'Ville. I don't remember ...

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2020   #17
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Is there more than one? A round and a pear? I see different pics on the internet. I *believe* I got my seeds from you. If not, then definitely a swap here on T'Ville. I don't remember ...
Could very well be that I sent them out to you!
I'd say, even from the comments by Carolyn in this thread, that the true MK is pear shaped. As I recall, she always referred to it as a better-tasting yellow pear. Maybe not in those exact words, but that was her meaning, and her impression. I did get round, salad sized tomatoes from one plant one year, but I regarded that as an accidental cross. I did save seeds, but have yet to grow them out. I'd be suspicious of any round Medovaya Kaplyas.
Old July 5, 2020   #18
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my medovaya kapyla from saved seeds kept giving me regular leaf, and potato plants. never did grow out the regular leaf plants to see what kind of fruit.
i came across the envelope i got from carolyn however many years ago with one seed
left in it. i planted it, it sprouted, and is now growing in the garden. soon, we hope to
have tomatoes. i might take a cutting for back up.

keith
Old July 6, 2020   #19
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Yellow pear...... great mild flavor to get children hooked on tomatoes. My son came home from school with a seedling in grammar school..... and tended it as it grew into a HUGE bush. He ate them. His younger brother ate them.

A bland tomato for us with adult tastebuds but terrific for children.

Reds crack easily and picking loads of cracked ones to toss to chickens is frustrating.

Medovjas have a better flavor profile.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2020   #20
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it this year from saved seed (from 2010!), and the plant looks very healthy. It's PL. None ripe yet.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2020   #21
Lotte
Tomatovillian™

I am growing the MK this year and I also got both RL and PL plants.Keeping both to see what is showing up.I like the pearshaped, one year I had pear as a theme with some 30 different ones, both small and large ones and in different colors.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote