Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2020   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Comparing Jaunne Flamme to Tangerine Ailsa Craig

Folks, I like the vivid yellow tomatoes, and two in particular have done very well here in Atlanta over the years (I should have included Egg Yolk here). I grow both in containers. Those two are:

Jaunne Flamme
Tangerine Ailsa Craig (seeds sent to me by ChrisK in 2012 - thanks again Chris).

Production: Both are productive, producing around 40-60 fruits per plant over a season. JF seems to come in flushes, while TAC produces more regularly.

Disease: The TAC is slightly more disease resistant than is JF, which can go down to septoria pretty fast if not careful.
Taste: TAC is slightly sweeter, while JF has a deeper tomato taste.

Size: JF is slightly larger than TAC.

Both are excellent saladettes and very pretty tomatoes for salad or salsa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20200630_174508.jpg (38.1 KB, 152 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2020   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I love Jaune Flamme as a very tart and not very sweet tomato. It is a perfect companion to most salads and works very well on a BLT sandwich.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2020   #3
davidj
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Jaune Flammée in the 4-5 years and it always have a good taste. Few years ago, we had a summer with a lot of rain: tomatoes were bigger (I do not irrigate my tomato plants) and I felt that taste of a lot of varieties felt diluted and suffered from too much rain... but Jaune Flammée was still excellent, even though fruits were bigger than usual.

I eat a lot of tomates in sandwiches and I make sauce, so I often do not know what to do with these saladette tomatoes (about 60 g each). So every spring, I am not sure if I will grow it... but finally, I always want to have one or two plants I want to make a cross of Jaune Flammée with a bigger tomato, I'll try in the next weeks.

Also, Jaune Flammée gets its orange color from beta carotene. When fully ripe, it has some red tint in the center. Beautiful and tasty . Is it the same for Tangerine Alisa Craig ? I don't know this variety, but from the name, one would thing that it is a tangerine orange tomato. Do you have a picture to compare interior of both tomatoes ?

David
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2020   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

You are correct, David. Here are the two cut sections showing the red tint in the JF. Both very juicy tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_cut_jf_and_tac.jpg (36.9 KB, 122 views)
Old April 24, 2021   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Wanted to bump this back up. I am including Tangerine Ailsa Craig on my for sale list this year in Atlanta - it does very well in this climate.
Old April 25, 2021   #6
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a Tangerine similar variety for the first time and it is Heliod. At least the color is similar. Supposedly somewhat blocky more than round:
https://www.smallhousefarm.com/product/heliod/
Old April 25, 2021   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I love JF! Now I do regret not growing it this year. I do agree it can succumb to septoria fairly quickly. I'll have to try TAC sometime.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2021   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Jamie, I should have some Jaune Flamme plants later this spring at the Madison farmers market if you want some. The market is at the Alliant Center parking lot for now. Give me a message tho if you want to come so I will be sure to have them along. It will be at least mid May before they will be ready.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2021   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Jamie, I should have some Jaune Flamme plants later this spring at the Madison farmers market if you want some. The market is at the Alliant Center parking lot for now. Give me a message tho if you want to come so I will be sure to have them along. It will be at least mid May before they will be ready.

Carol
Very nice of you to think of me Carol! Thanks! All my tomato spots in the garden are accounted for--I don't have a huge garden, so every year some great tomatoes don't make the list--my list is always a mix of favorites and new to me varieties and sometimes a couple for a crossing project.

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote