Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2020   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Using sulfur!

For some reason, many of my decorative, container plants; my wife decorates our decks with started producing very yellow new leaves. I believe it is indicating an iron deficiency. I've read of people using sulfur to cure iron deficiency and I do have a large bag of garden sulfur, but I'm not sure how to use it on decorative plants. I don't want to create a highly acidic environment for them. Any experience and thoughts about using garden sulfur would be appreciated,
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #2
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

I use sulfur for blueberries but its necessary
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I use sulphur every year to assist the pH dropping down into the 7s in the vegetable garden.
Old June 29, 2020   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

What application method and what concentration of sulfur powder do you use?
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2020   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My method is to use a bucket made for spreading fertilizer or grass seed. It has a slider at the bottom to increase or decrease the size holes. The pail handles when pivoted spread the product. I have used powder and prills. Both suggest 5 pounds per 100 square feet of garden will lower pH 1/2 unit. My soil test also indicates the amount of elemental sulphur to lower pH to the point I am looking for. I fiddle with the numbers to find the proper amount. I am not sure of the concentration of the sulphur product. The powdered say elemental sulphur and the pellets say elemental sulphur combined with clay.

Amazing but the suggested amounts match. So I spread and rake it in lightly knowing the process will take quite a while to work. I do soil tests every other year and that helps gauge how much to use for next application. My ph has gone from 8.7 down to 7.6 or 7.8 so every year I apply sulphur to keep my garden in the sevens. Soils love to revert to its base. Never ending battle if I want to have non-native plants.