Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 24, 2020   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Strawberry Question

We are growing two varieties of ever-bearing strawberries that were said to be good for containers, as they don't run like crazy. (From Baker Creek Temptation and Tresca.) You can see the flower clusters coming up from the middle of the plant pictured. My question, is the mini-runners you see the plant sending out, with strawberries of this type, do you let those grow and they will flower/produce fruit or trim them off? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D098912-42BF-4710-9F8E-7C603A4E66B9.jpg (150.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; June 24, 2020 at 12:40 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2020   #2
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

The plant is sending out runners. Those runners are small individual strawberry plants. You can plant the small green part of the runner in a container of potting mix and it should start to grow on its own in a few days. If you are not looking to start new plants, then trim off the runners.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2020   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I'll trim them off. These were started in February and are starting to put on some nice flush of flowers. My goal is to overwinter them in my garage this winter.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2020   #4
ponyexpress
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Thanks I'll trim them off. These were started in February and are starting to put on some nice flush of flowers. My goal is to overwinter them in my garage this winter.
Question about overwintering them in the garage. When do you do this or should I say, how do you know they're dormant?

Do you water the pots in the winter or is their no need for this?
ponyexpress is offline   Reply With Quote