Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 4, 2007   #1
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default What is the most productive sweet pepper

What is the most productive sweet pepper which still produces good quality fruit. (I think of peppers that can be used as bell pepper as in salad or fried or baked) I have a limited space this year for peppers and still want several bussels to injoy
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Though not my absolute favorite for flavor, I think you really get a lot of bang for your buck from the sweet banana peppers. You can use them at any stage, yellow-green to orange-red, and they're pretty much an all purpose pepper. Very productive.

Many people use bells as their all purpose pepper, of course, but I grow pimentos in place of bells. I just don't have great luck with the bells. I really like the pimentos in salads. I do think they're productive, but because they're generall not used in the green stage, you sometimes have to wait for a batch to ripen to red or gold and then pick them all. They usually keep pretty well in the fridge so you can eat them over a period of two to three weeks.
Old February 4, 2007   #3
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I agree that Sweet Banana peppers produce great!!! I like them more for cooking than fresh eating though. They have thinner walls than bell peppers and fry up great with onions. They are okay tossed in a salad, are great as pickles. I prefer a pepper that is thick and crispy for eating alone so I grow some bells also, but if I had to choose only one pepper it would be sweet banana.
Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote