Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2018   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default Radish germination problem

For the first time ever my radishes are having poor germination. I know they are supposed to be sensitive to herbicides. I put some mushroom compost on some of the garden and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of contaminated mushroom compost ?
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

The only times I've had germination issues with radishes were planting them too deep or using old seed.

I use bagged mushroom compost in my garden and haven't ever had issues--not to say it couldn't be the case.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Mine didn't germinate well this year; I planted them outdoors, early. Thought they were supposed to be a cold weather vegetable.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Radish seeds are very sensible to storage conditions and they are easily getting old after 2-3 years so it's better to soak such seeds.
Sow them 2-4cm deep in the ground.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

4 cm deep, for such small seeds? I sow mine about 2-4 mm deep!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

My rule of thumb for planting any seed is that the depth should be twice the thickness of the seed and that works pretty well for me.

I also saw on this forum some time ago that some people step on the furrows after planting seeds to make sure that the soil makes good contact with the seeds and I started doing this. I used to just fluff the soil over the seeds but I think that pressing it down does seem to work better.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

It depends on how often you can provide watering to your seeds and what is the soil temperature.
When you grow radish very early in spring in open ground its better to put radish seeds a bit deeper with adding much water in a trench. Also when you sow it in greenhouse and have no opportunity to water them several times a week put your seeds deeper (2-4cm).
In May outdoor and when your greenhouse is near your living house it is enough to sow at 0.5-1cm.

My rules are for once a week (on weekend) care

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #8
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I do pre soak most of my seeds, have germinated some old radish seed and planted early April. It is usually wet and cold here in Chicago so no need for extra watering care.
I gently press them into soil, as long as you sure it is not going to wash out by rain we good to go.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote