Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 17, 2018   #16
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Heh. I believe a HOT Sanitize Cycle with Bleach will get the pots clean but who's really going to do that....unless you bring it to the 24 hr laundrymats at 2 AM and hope no one sees you. Maybe be a good citizen and then do another empty wash on hot water before you leave.

Heh Barb. Yours sound like mine.
I've done the rinse.
I've also taken a plastic card and scraped the sides after a good days rain....

Even after a long hard winter, (I did clean them in late fall), when I moved the snow soaked pots, I smelled a tinge of wet algae.. On super hot days, I try to make it a *flush the salts of the pot days*.
Heh, as least I know I'm in company
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #17
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hiya Barb, I got poly white bags on ebay through HTG Supply, which also oddly has them direct from their own website at a considerably higher price. I bought the 50 pack of 10gal for like 50cents a bag. I see they are out of the 50pack size now, but they have 25packs at about 60cents each for 10gal.

Less evaporation was the biggest growing difference between them and the fabrics, a quart to half gallon less of the water soluble ferts daily on plants of comparable type and size. Root development seemed nearly comparable and they were sturdy enough that none ripped or split.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GROW-BAGS-B...v76VuQdD3mEHbA
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #18
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Hiya Barb, I got poly white bags on ebay through HTG Supply, which also oddly has them direct from their own website at a considerably higher price. I bought the 50 pack of 10gal for like 50cents a bag.
I have used several hundred of those exact same bags. Unless there is no sunlight hitting the bags, this is what they look like after one season outdoors. If you cover them so no sunlight hits the bag, they will last two years if not moved.

I am switching to 30 gallon fabric bags, and plan to put one to two tomatoes per bag. I have used 10 gallon fabric pots in the past, and the did need more watering vs solid plastic. I am hoping the larger volume will mitigate that somewhat. I really should look into a drip system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180422_160821.jpg (208.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180422_160831.jpg (196.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20180422_160838.jpg (195.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180422_160907.jpg (159.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180422_160925.jpg (234.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by fonseca; April 22, 2018 at 06:50 PM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote