Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 13, 2015   #1
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Celebrity Hybrid/Celebrity Bush Hybrid

Are the Celebrity and the Celebrity bush the same tomato? I've grown what I thought was Celebrity Bush in containers with excellent results, but if I go to find seeds, about all I see is Celebrity Hybrid.

One of these is true and I'd like help in figuring out which one it is:

1. Celebrity Hybrid and Celebrity Bush Hybrid are the same tomato. Celebrity just happens to be a bush tomato.

2. Celebrity Hybrid and Celebrity Bush Hybrid are two distinct tomatoes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

I believe they are one in the same. Celebrity is sometimes referred to as a bush (determinate) type but I always found it to be more of an indeterminate as it pretty much keeps growing all season.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think they are the same some call it a bush determinant and others bush and yet others determinant.
The first year I grew them it was in sandy loam soil and the things got about 5 feet tall and were covered in tomatoes.
I had 12 of them they were beautiful plants.
Every time it rained hard the plants would be up to their eyeballs in water.
It was the spring of 1989.
So it is a big bushy bush.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #4
Donna Mattingly
Tomatovillian™

I can't answer that specific question, but my husband and I have chosen Celebrity as THE safety plant in addition to our heirlooms so that no matter what the season brings us we will have enough tomatoes to can each year. However, I don't know how to explain it, but our Celebrity tomatoes have not been nearly as reliable or good for at least the last three seasons.
Donna Mattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Last year, one of our celebrities got huge. It grew out of a 4' tall cage with branches larger around than my thumb. The leaves and branches were too thick for some of the inner fruit to ripen - so I let my brother have them for his fried green tomatoes.

Yeah, a really big bushy bush that turned into a monster sized plant.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #6
snugglekitten
BANNED

There is more apocrypha and folklore surrounding tomato cultivars than there is for Biblical literature. I wouldn't try to delve too deep into this until we can get a "Maury" show for tomato paternity tests.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #7
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks!

I appreciate your feedback. I guess the general answer is that there is really only one variety.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mattingly View Post
I can't answer that specific question, but my husband and I have chosen Celebrity as THE safety plant in addition to our heirlooms so that no matter what the season brings us we will have enough tomatoes to can each year. However, I don't know how to explain it, but our Celebrity tomatoes have not been nearly as reliable or good for at least the last three seasons.
For years Celebrity was my safety tomato also but after two years of poor performance I switched to Big Beef. I found it a little more reliable and much better tasting but it does make a much larger plant because it is a true indeterminate.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #9
JoParrott

I totally agree with Donna & b54red-- Celebrity was once my go-to, but in recent years has not done well at all. At first you can say it was weather, etc, but when many people have the same results, you start to think otherwise. I also switched to Big Beef- so far no disappointments at all.
Old March 14, 2015   #10
Donna Mattingly
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what it is that caused Celebrity to decline in quality as it obviously has for so many of us?
Donna Mattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #11
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemansker View Post
Are the Celebrity and the Celebrity bush the same tomato? I've grown what I thought was Celebrity Bush in containers with excellent results, but if I go to find seeds, about all I see is Celebrity Hybrid.

One of these is true and I'd like help in figuring out which one it is:

1. Celebrity Hybrid and Celebrity Bush Hybrid are the same tomato. Celebrity just happens to be a bush tomato.

2. Celebrity Hybrid and Celebrity Bush Hybrid are two distinct tomatoes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Here's my 2c, for what it's worth LOL.

#1 is correct, since determinate tomatoes are called bush tomatoes by some people. But "bush" wouldn't be part of the name as you have it written in #1, both would refer to the 'Celebrity' F1 hybrid tomato supposedly with a DTM of 72 days .

There is another variety you probably bought before called 'Bush Celebrity' F1 hybrid, not 'Celebrity Bush' though, which is suited for tomatoes in containers for its smaller size and has the added benefit of maturing a few days earlier, around in 67 days .

People having Celebrity plants 5 feet tall and doing some vining are planting Celebrity original recipe which is called semi-determinate by many, and may be stretched a bit and called "vining" just to confuse things further, but it is still bushy if that makes sense. I haven't seen authentic 'Bush Celebrity' seeds being sold lately on the seed racks and think many new container varieties are out there that may beat it, but really I don't know what the deal is for home gardeners to grow from seed or why it would have been pulled if that happened.

Hope that helps.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I could have swore there were two at one time but now I cant find the bush one.

I even thought TGS sold two types but when I went there yesterday there was only one.
So much for hybrids, we have no control over what comes and goes.
The celebrity they have had in the past few years seem scrawny compared to back in 2003 or 4 the last time I grew them in open soil.
The last two or three years I grew them in raised beds they didn't do as well.
Not even close.
Along with other plants that did just fine in the same soil.
Thus the reason they aren't in my garden now until someone shows me a picture of a 4 foot celebrity again loaded with tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Directly from the AAS site:

Tomato 'Celebrity' hybrid. 1984 AAS Vegetable Award Winner
Multiple disease resistance and hybrid vigor for strong, healthy plants and a harvest you can count on. It will produce under a broad range of conditions, and is widely adaptable as a bush, cage, or short stake tomato. 'Celebrity' is a mid-early determinate variety that starts producing in about 70 days from transplant. Its large, deep fruit are firm and exceptionally flavorful.

--------------------------------

Seminis also have it listed as determinate:
http://www.seminis.com/global/us/pro...Celebrity.aspx

---------------------------------

I have also seen it described as semi-determiate elsewhere.

Last edited by RJGlew; March 14, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Well, I think that F1 seeds , depending on how and when were collected can be different. Although the parents are the same varieties but they won't be identical. IOW year X parents can be different from year Y parents. How do you grow and chose the parents ? were they pure or maybe were crossed unintentionally ?. So you would end up with different batches of seeds.
Just some thoughts.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #15
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

I just looked it up and got a migraine trying to understand the inconsistent descriptions in Googledom. Celebrity is the #1 tomato recommended for us to grow by our State ag experts in my city which isn't an especially long-season place so that's why we get Celebrity pushed on us which makes me rebel.

I gave up after getting to Bonnie Plant's page which at 65 DTM that sounds like the 'Bush Celebrity' plant I started to think, but is labeled as All-American which the 'Bush Celebrity' wouldn't be. And this stuff just seems to morph each year worse on the commercial sites. Not worth deciphering the marketing mess these companies have made. Scrawney plants? Good riddance to all the Celebrities for me, one variety less to worry about getting the "right" seeds.

Don't get me wrong because it was a really hot tomato back then for me, but then so were a lot of other things. Either I got old or some of the varieties got old and who wants to go down that path
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote