Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 20, 2018   #571
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very pretty, Cole. The shadows at the top of the pic also look almost customer shaped.. I personally love reddish marigolds the best but the double ones (any color) have an awesome shape. Bumptious.
@Oakley the combination of Muscari and Sunflowers is really stunning!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #572
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

We've had a lot of less than good selling weather for my markets this year so far. This is our set-up at Madison this last Sat. Started slow due to cold and fizzy weather but did great after 10 am. We had over 80 varieties of tomatoes and some herbs.

Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg market5-19-18.jpg (103.9 KB, 194 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #573
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You have the setup of a pro, looks great.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #574
Ironwood
Tomatovillian™

Great displays everyone!

Got to love Spring!!

This year I am not doing a single market. I have had enough of poorly advertised, poorly run, rising fees, and high insurance requirements for venders.

Fortunately I have a very busy roadside stand. My friend and I normally grow opposite things so we have all bases covered. Well his land got sold so he is a farmer without a farm.

It is up to me to grow it all this year. On the plus side, his roadside stand does 5x the business of mine. He averages 1k per day with some weekend or holidays raking in almost 2k. So I won't have a problem selling to him this season.

We also have a wonderful produce auction close by that runs three days a week. I unload overstock and purchase things I'm low on or do not grow from the Amish farmers. We were able to buy drop dead gorgeous hanging baskets this year at the auction for 5.50 ea. Priced at 15$ they sold like hot cakes. The deep purples and black flowers are the most popular this year around these parts. I think we have moved some 500 baskets. Red and Martha Washington geranium have been hot as well.

I must say I am very relieved to not have to load up, setup, tear down at markets anymore.

Cheers for a great season everyone! Keep those tables stunning!!
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #575
bower
Tomatovillian™

Too true, Ironwood... markets are a lot of work!
Best of luck growing it all this season, I hope you have a great year.
Old May 28, 2018   #576
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Sounds great, Ironwood! A stable location can help build repeat customers. Have an excellent rest of season!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #577
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Great displays everyone!

Got to love Spring!!

This year I am not doing a single market. I have had enough of poorly advertised, poorly run, rising fees, and high insurance requirements for venders.

Fortunately I have a very busy roadside stand. My friend and I normally grow opposite things so we have all bases covered. Well his land got sold so he is a farmer without a farm.

It is up to me to grow it all this year. On the plus side, his roadside stand does 5x the business of mine. He averages 1k per day with some weekend or holidays raking in almost 2k. So I won't have a problem selling to him this season.

We also have a wonderful produce auction close by that runs three days a week. I unload overstock and purchase things I'm low on or do not grow from the Amish farmers. We were able to buy drop dead gorgeous hanging baskets this year at the auction for 5.50 ea. Priced at 15$ they sold like hot cakes. The deep purples and black flowers are the most popular this year around these parts. I think we have moved some 500 baskets. Red and Martha Washington geranium have been hot as well.

I must say I am very relieved to not have to load up, setup, tear down at markets anymore.

Cheers for a great season everyone! Keep those tables stunning!!

I actually feel sorry for the people who grow beautiful baskets and they sell for 5.50 at the auction. we have the same thing here and I wont take anything to the auction anymore. it costs more to transport the product there than the what we make on the sale. good for you.... but they didn't even make money on them. maybe even sold them at a loss depending on the plants in them.
Old May 28, 2018   #578
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

My wholesaler sells baskets for $5. I have to pick through them, but easy money considering I charge $12 and did nothing but buy them.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #579
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here are the past three weeks of market tables. I sold my first cut flowers this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180602_075458_6678(1).jpg (636.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20180609_075950_357222222.jpg (676.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20180616_075810_82352222.jpg (703.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20180616_075838_14672222.jpg (372.3 KB, 89 views)
Old June 17, 2018   #580
bower
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous!!
I really have to try the dwarf sunflowers... it's such a challenge to grow full size ones here because of the wind.
Actually Cole, it's a big treat for me now to see the sun shining on flowers on a market day. Somewhere, anywhere....
Old June 17, 2018   #581
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Very beautiful, great job C_R.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #582
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Did anyone try to sell zucchini plants? They are quick to grow and look pretty as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #583
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Gorgeous flowers! How much do you sell them for?
Old June 17, 2018   #584
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I have been selling the potted flowers for $4, and 3 for $10. I had $3 on the cut flowers. I am not sure how much demand there is at my market for cut flowers. It is an experiment, so I am still learning.

I have seen squash plants for sale, and known people who have planted transplants and done well. They don't hold very long on containers, though.

I did well yesterday, considering that the vendor across from me had "free" as the price of his flowers. He gave away several tables of plants. Being able to do ok saleswise in that situation was good.
Old June 17, 2018   #585
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I did well yesterday, considering that the vendor across from me had "free" as the price of his flowers. He gave away several tables of plants. Being able to do ok saleswise in that situation was good.

Do you pay to attend this market Cole? if so...that is wrong of that vendor to do that at the market. I don't think too many markets would support a vendor giving away free plants or product at the market where other vendors are trying to sell the same products they have worked hard to make marketable. and those vendors pay to attend.