Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2018   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Just got through clipping, pruning and inspecting my tomato plants and I found I had overlooked a perfectly ripe Limbaugh's Legacy. So instead of the Crynkovik Y. being my first it will be Limbaugh's. I also picked the JD''s but it still needs 2 or 3 days to be completely ripe. I also found a few worms and a bit of Early Blight; but that is expected by this time of the season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #17
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Grabbed these two Big Beef this am before the rains could split them. Still a few days away from ripe. My septoria is under control for now, but grey mold is slowly consuming my Black Cherry. Miraculously no bugs yet. Last year had leaf miners, but none this year. Am sure that will all change soon. Here's the two Big Beef. Foliage is sparse, keeping heavily pruned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1014208.jpg (370.0 KB, 39 views)
Old May 20, 2018   #18
creeker
Tomatovillian™

My first ripe tomato picked 3 days ago. Taxi. More to pick today or tomorrow. I planted several in raised beds the last week of Feb so these are at almost 90 days due to many cold nights even after danger of frosts. We now have lows in the mid 50s and highs in the 90s so they are really coming along now. Next up will be Black Sea Man or Bush Early Girl.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nice harvest , Ed.
My Big Beefs have fruits of about the same size but no color break. BUT I can see that green color is getting more faded lighter green. The next sign should be a suggestion of yellow , to be fallowed by red.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

As of a few minutes ago I have now picked 7 tomatoes and will get to try one or two tonight. I am going to wait for a big slicer for a BLT because so far all I have had ripen are small tomatoes no more than 6 ozs but they should go well with some beans and fresh squash when made into a cucumber, onion and tomato salad which we will have tonight.

We are now getting rain every day and frequently several times a day so the diseases and sick leaves are increasing. The forecast is for more of the same for the next 10 days. I fear I may start seeing some splitting soon. I guess I will be pulling out the bleach soon for some damage control in this wet weather. The squash and cucumbers are making like crazy though and it is definitely a lot cooler and no need for watering.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote