Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 25, 2010   #1
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Default Good Earthtainer fertilizers for Canadian tomato growers?

Didn't realize that so many of the recommended Earthtainer materials are only available in the States.

I happened to travel through areas of the USA a couple of weeks ago for business and was able to bring 8x Rugged Totes back with me.

Looking back, I should've picked up some fertilizer as well.

It seems like Espoma, Fox Farms and [I believe] E.B. Stone products are unavailable in Canada.

Have any Canadians built SWC's/Earthtainers? What materials did you end up using?

I am also trying to find some deals on Tomato Cages & Potting Mix. The dealers that I have visited so far want $14 for a 18"x54" cage and $25 for a 3.8 cu. ft. bag of Pro-Mix BX .
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quickstrike,

I am getting good results with Tomato-Tone (but Tomaten Dunger blows them all away), unfortunately, not available here in the States, and probably not in Canada. The initial results with Fox Farms and EB Stone are not as promising.

The 18" by 54" heavy duty cages run about $9.00 US locally, however, Pro-Mix BX 3.8 cu. ft. is $38.00 here in California, so you got a good price on it in Canada.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #3
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

I've been using worm tea made from my worm farm. I have 2 earthtainers (similar to Ray's design with some modifications) with 4 tomato plants. They are going great guns. Over 5 ft tall with tons of blooms and immature fruit. The tomato plants that I planted earlier in regular containers are also fertilized with worm tea-they are doing very well too but they aren't hulking monsters like the earthtainer toms.
lj in ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

lj (cool),

Way to go! Post some pictures of your EarthTainers and the mods you made, when you have time. I am always looking to see how others improved on the design.

Raybo
Old June 25, 2010   #5
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Where in Canada are you located?
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #6
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
Where in Canada are you located?
Jeff
Calgary, Alberta.
Old June 26, 2010   #7
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Quickstrike,
Howdy neighbour! I am located just north of you in Airdrie.
Here are some of the sources that I use:
Totes: Wally World (not quite as big as the US ones but close enough)
Pro-mix:Westgro located just off Blackfoot Trail and 42nd Ave.
Fertilizer: Green EarthTomato Food Wally World is the cheapest retail.
Cages: You may want to try Westland (Balzac) for Glamos Wire Cages. They are a wholesaler who also carry Myke Tomato Food and Green Earth Tomato Food.
Pro-Mix alternative= Home Depot usually carries large bales of Sunshine Mix.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Last edited by dokutaaguriin; June 26, 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: more info
Old June 26, 2010   #8
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
Quickstrike,
Howdy neighbour! I am located just north of you in Airdrie.
Here are some of the sources that I use:
Totes: Wally World (not quite as big as the US ones but close enough)
Pro-mix:Westgro located just off Blackfoot Trail and 42nd Ave.
Fertilizer: Green EarthTomato Food Wally World is the cheapest retail.
Cages: You may want to try Westland (Balzac) for Glamos Wire Cages. They are a wholesaler who also carry Myke Tomato Food and Green Earth Tomato Food.
Pro-Mix alternative= Home Depot usually carries large bales of Sunshine Mix.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Thanks for the help!

It appears that Westgro & Westland are now closed for the weekend . Really wanted to get this project done today.

dokutaaguriin, I noticed in another post that you were able to purchase some Actinovate. Could you please tell me where you found this?

rnewste, it is my understanding that Pro-mix BX would benefit from the 3:2:1 ratio [potting mix, bark fines, perlite].. is this correct? or is that just for Sta-green?

Thanks again!
Old June 26, 2010   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The 3:2:1 Combo Mix just applies to Potting Mixes including Sta-Green and Miracle-Gro. Pro-Mix BX already contains 14% Perlite, so when using Pro-Mix, I would do something like a 8:5:1 ratio of the Pro-Mix, Decorative Groundcover Bark, and Perlite, in that order. You want to end up in the range of 16% to 20% Perlite in the final Mix.

Raybo
Old June 26, 2010   #10
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I have seen glamos gages at Garden Retreat (by Chinook Centre). I believe they also carry Pro-Mix.
I purchased the Actinovate at Johnny's (US mailorder).

I hope this helps,
Jeff
Old June 27, 2010   #11
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

I'm no good a posting pictures. I posted a picture of Coyote/Champage Cherry on my blog with a bit of an explanation and time line.

http://apottersgarden.blogspot.com/2...ontainers.html
Old June 27, 2010   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

lj,

Nice writeup on your SWC results.

I know Fairport well. A pretty Village on the Erie Canal. I "escaped" Rochester many years ago (went to MCC, RIT - worked at Harris Communications, Taylor Instrument) and moved to California in 1981. Nice to go back and visit during your Summer (August 3 to August 5).

Your SWCs should do just as well in Fairport as they would in San Jose. We just have a bit of a longer Season out here.

Raybo
Old June 29, 2010   #13
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

Then you know the area well! I have to defend our weather- I love the summers here the weather is beautiful from mid May until mid October (then quickly goes downhill!) I only wish our growing season was a little longer, but I won't complain since this thread was started by our neighbors to the north! I lived in the South for 10 years and couldn't take the heat and missed the change of seasons.
Old July 3, 2010   #14
MacDuff
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Cages

I use the reinforcing wire that contractors use when they are building a wall with cement blocks. They put the wire in between each course. I cut them in half - six foot and tie them together with plastic wire ties. I leave one side without ties so that I can fold them up flat and put them away for the winter.

MacDuff
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010   #15
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Well, everything is setup *except* for the 8:5:1 ratio of potting mix [Pro-Mix, Decorative Groundcover Bark, and Perlite].

None of the hardware stores & nurseries around here seem to sell 'bark fines', 'decorative groundcover bark', 'pine bark', or 'soil conditioner'.

I think I have finally found a source..

I can either buy:
  • MONTANE GARDEN MULCH™
  • Quote:
    Montane Garden Mulch™ is a 3/8" minus spruce and pine mulch mix. It is the fine by-product of Foothills Premium Mulch.
  • SHREDDED CEDAR MULCH
  • Quote:
    Cedar mulch is shredded cedar (long, thin pieces) for decorative purposes. As with any wood product, cedar will break down over time, turn silvery grey in colour and require top up.
  • PINE MULCH
  • Quote:
    Pine mulch is a darker colored mulch that is used in exterior landscape designs including planters, flower beds and around shrubs and trees.
  • SOIL PEP (GARDEN MULCH)
  • Quote:
    Soil pep (garden mulch) is used as a soil conditioner or amendment. It is typically applied at an one-inch depth and incorporated or tilled into the top six inches of topsoil. It works great as a soil loosener, in place of peat moss."
Which one should I go with? Is the 3/8" Montane Garden Mulch the best match?

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

Don't worry.. I am not starting from seedlings.. all my tomato plants are in 5 gallon containers and have grown quite large [for the zone I am in]. They seem satisfied where they are now, but it would be nice to transplant them into the larger Earthtainers at some point .