Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 15, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to try again?

It will be 2 weeks this Sat. That I planted Cubanelle pepper and nothing has sprouted yet. Package says germination 10 to 12 days Is it time to replant after this Sat., and if so can I just add seeds to the tray that has the old seeds that haven't yet come up? Or would you wait? My other tomato & pepper plantings are doing great, I don't plan on outdoor transplnting til at least the 3rd week of May
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

often takes more than 2 weeks for peppers to germinate. keep them warm and wait a bit more. were your seeds fresh?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

They were packaged for 2018, so I'll wait a bit the temp in my grow box is 83 degrees the box is by a heat vent and my grow light is a CFL so it stays warm. So at what point would you reseed?
Old March 15, 2018   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If you are worried, you can try pregerminating some extras in paper towel just in case if you have plenty of seed. I would think you should have some up by day 21. You sowed in flats?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have found germinating peppers challenging. I often give up on them.. even some of my own seeds from last year didn,t germinate.
I guess i will get whatever i can from BBS.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #6
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

2 weeks at 83 degrees & not up yet is not a good sign.

I would try again, to be on the safe side.

Use a different pot or tray, not the same one. Avoid planting too deep & keeping the starting medium too wet.

Finally, packaged for 2018 doesn't necessarily mean they were harvested last year. They could be from 3 seasons ago & already near the end of their viability, particularly if purchased from a garden center seed rack.

Last edited by nyrfan; March 16, 2018 at 01:51 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #7
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Well this morning I very gently pull the starting mix back on the 4 sections of the starter tray where I have the Cubanelle seeds planted, in the same 8 section starter tray the tomatoes up in the other 4 sections. I found the pepper seeds in the 4 sections of the tray all dormant, so I removed them and replanted with seeds I'm glad I didn't wait any longer hoping these sprout!

Last edited by Jetstar; March 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old March 22, 2018   #8
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Well what a difference, I re-seeded the Cubanelle and in only 4 days 3 of the 4 sections have come up!! I'm happy, the only thing I did different this time is soak the seeds 24hrs before planting. Yeah I'll remember that next time I start pepper seeds.
Old March 22, 2018   #9
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
Well what a difference, I re-seeded the Cubanelle and in only 4 days 3 of the 4 sections have come up!! I'm happy, the only thing I did different this time is soak the seeds 24hrs before planting. Yeah I'll remember that next time I start pepper seeds.
I did that too this year, and yes the difference was remarkable!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

2 of my cubanelle came up the last few days and I planted them the 25th of Feb.Yet my Scotch Bonnet came up in around 8 days.Both were on my heat mat at around 80 to 85 degrees.I have read that sweet peppers are easier to germinate than hot but mine were the opposite.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote