Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 12, 2018   #16
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

I shopped at local discount store where the small GH is available. FOr $20. Put two in cart.

WHen I reached the far side of the store there was a fair number of different utility type storage racks. I looked each over. Used trays to check fit. Plastic. Metal. Short. Tall.

Opted for moderate height unit as 9 trays fit on top 3 shelves and only 7 on the plastic unit. ( Used top 3 shelves to compare because third shelf down is at same height for two tallest units) Holds 250# per shelf.
$39

ANd the unit looks just like just like the one everyone recommended, minus wheels!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Class...=Seville+14x30
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #17
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your valuable input.
Old February 12, 2018   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post

ANd the unit looks just like just like the one everyone recommended, minus wheels!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Class...=Seville+14x30
the wheels are usually optional. you buy them separately for another $20.00.
Old February 12, 2018   #19
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

ahhhhh...no wheels necessary where its going.

Thank you.
Old February 16, 2018   #20
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

PLEASE COMMENT on the randomly selected vendors above, the sizing, or other issues I am totally ignorant about. THtanks.
Thanks for posting these links, Black Krim! It led me to the Bootstrap Farmer website where I ordered 1010 and 1020 trays, 6-cell tray inserts, 32-cell trays with 2" pots and didn't have to pay shipping! They arrived in 3 days and are really heavy duty. I only wish I ordered them years ago instead of buying cheap replacements annually.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018   #21
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

You are welcome. Durabilty is a good thing!! And 3 day shipping is impressive. I havent ordered yet, so I'll check out Boostrap Farmer.
Old February 16, 2018   #22
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You are welcome. Durabilty is a good thing!! And 3 day shipping is impressive. I havent ordered yet, so I'll check out Boostrap Farmer.
For what I needed, it was cheaper ordering directly from them rather than Amazon, which only carries certain combinations.
Old February 16, 2018   #23
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Hi Guys If you have a local Hydroponics Store check to see if they have what you need, I have one here close that has most of the that stuff and they are cheer than Amazon. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018   #24
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Agree with local hydro store on selection and price. They buy in bulk and price accordingly. I find Amazon expensive on tray supplies. Harris Seeds when they have free shipping is my go to. I didn't upgrade but got delivery in 3 business days. When I had big orders greenhousemegastore.com was cheapest even with paid shipping factored in.

-Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #25
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Amazon was just my goto for information. A starting point that leads to better options!!
Hummert was too confusing for a newb.

Ultimately I bought a few trays at a local discount store because I could see them and test the fit live and in person. A learning curve....
Old February 17, 2018   #26
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Dang you, Kath! LOL!
I went to the Bootstrap website and ended up ordering trays and inserts! I love the green color, and also got some heavier black ones. When the snow melts, I'll have to do some sorting to get rid of a nest of old flimsy cracked trays I've kept around to double and triple up for safe carrying. Thanks for mentioning the Bootstrap website!

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #27
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Dang you, Kath! LOL!
I went to the Bootstrap website and ended up ordering trays and inserts! I love the green color, and also got some heavier black ones. When the snow melts, I'll have to do some sorting to get rid of a nest of old flimsy cracked trays I've kept around to double and triple up for safe carrying. Thanks for mentioning the Bootstrap website!
You're welcome, Dee- happy to help! Here's to sorting, recycling and no more doubling, tripling, taping, and accidents from failing trays! Not cheap, but to me, worth every penny.

kath
Old February 22, 2018   #28
HappyLittleAcreMark
Tomatovillian™

Late to the game, but a few comments:
1.I just picked up the bigger brother of that wire rack at Costco for $89. I know its more expensive, but the size is 48"x20"x72". It comes with wheels, 6 racks and each rack supports 800 pounds (so the packaging claims).
2. As others have suggested, there are cheaper options for the seedling trays than Amazon. For example, the 1020 trays are $13 / 10 pack and $63 / 100 pack for different sized 1020 inserts at GreenhouseMegaStore (warehouse is local to me so no shipping).
HappyLittleAcreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #29
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on the bigger brother wire wrack. Will serve you well!

Yes, I too, have been looking over the Greenhouse mega store offerings. Much better prices, especially for larger quantities.
Old February 23, 2018   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleAcreMark View Post
Late to the game, but a few comments:
1.I just picked up the bigger brother of that wire rack at Costco for $89. I know its more expensive, but the size is 48"x20"x72". It comes with wheels, 6 racks and each rack supports 800 pounds (so the packaging claims).
2. As others have suggested, there are cheaper options for the seedling trays than Amazon. For example, the 1020 trays are $13 / 10 pack and $63 / 100 pack for different sized 1020 inserts at GreenhouseMegaStore (warehouse is local to me so no shipping).
get the 100 packs if you haven't yet. throw away the used inserts when you are done with them. it isn't worth the disease aspect when you reuse them. loss of all your potting media and your seeds if they get diseased. I have reused things and it does work as long as you sanitize them well, but if you get in a hurry and don't you are wasting your resources and sometimes that means no crop of that variety because you ca't get new seeds on time or at all.